[SOLVED] Bitdefender + Malwarebytes Premium; Good or bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velcroboy

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
I use Bitdefender for my antivirus/firewall. I've always used the free version of Malwarebytes as a supplement as it has, on many occasions, found things other AV programs missed.

Anyway, MWB's premium version offers "real-time protection" which I'm considering adding. I'm aware that running two AV programs at the same time isn't a great idea but I'm wondering if there is the same concern or conflict issues with MWB Premium? Would I be able to add it without interfering with BD?

Edit:
Please no "Just use Defender and common sense" answers. I've weighed the risks/performance cost and chosen to use a third party program. That isn't the question. Those answers aren't helpful.

I've cleaned enough computers of friends/coworkers/family to know that there is a constant barrage of malware and they are constantly looking for sneakier ways to implement it. Malicious script can be slipped into a lot of benign delivery systems.

The reason I ask about these two different programs working simultaneously is that there is enuogh nuance in the way they operate that they, (at least with the free MWB version,) don't step on each other's toes. What I want to know is, does anyone know enough about the Premium version to tell me whether or not it operates in a redundant matter?

Last edited:
Solution
For the record, I went ahead and gave it a try. I have both programs running with RTP on. I had to set the MWB to a delayed startup but otherwise there are no issues. I've closely monitored and there are no noticeable increases in resource usage or conflict issues.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Why? What do you use this computer for? I use windows defender and common sense home edition 2020 and haven't had a virus since the early 2000s. I don't see the point in slowing your computer down with multiple AV programs, even if they do play well together. As far as I know bit denfeder has real time protection, so I would assume using two AV programs with real time protection may cause some issues. I'd use one or the other.

You may run 2 or more AV programs simultaneously as long as real time protection is completely disabled on all but one of them. If you don't do this they will fight among themselves and, at the very least, bring your system to a screeching halt, and at worst cause the system to become completely unbootable. You can manually scan with the others (one at a time) whenever you wish.

Velcroboy

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
You may run 2 or more AV programs simultaneously as long as real time protection is completely disabled on all but one of them.
I guess where I'm questioning this, is that MWB technically isn't an Antivirus program. They even make the distinction themselves that they are not designed to be a stand-alone virus protection. They claim to work with other AV developers to avoid conflicts. In theory, I believe you should be able to run both with out a major hit to performance. Just wondering if anyone on these forums has any firsthand experience running them both? And if they had any issues?

Velcroboy

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
For the record, I went ahead and gave it a try. I have both programs running with RTP on. I had to set the MWB to a delayed startup but otherwise there are no issues. I've closely monitored and there are no noticeable increases in resource usage or conflict issues.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.