BitFenix Prodigy Build - Cooling advice

ryq

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: Already started
Budget Range: Roughly £800
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Graphic & Web design (Adobe software lots of multitasking), general use, occasional gaming
Are you buying a monitor? I'll be borrowing one for a while
Parts to Upgrade: New build
Do you need to buy OS: OS X
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Various UK sites (ebuyer, dabs, aria, overclockers)
Parts Preferences: See build below
Overclocking: No, but perhaps in the future
SLI or Crossfire: No
Additional Comments:

Case: BitFenix Prodigy Red
PSU: Corsair Builder Series 430W
Mobo: Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
SSD: Sandisk Extreme 240GB
WIFI: TP LINK 450Mbps Wireless
OD: Sony 24x DVD-RW

I know that I have wifi on the motherboard and a card as well - this is because the onboard wifi will not work under OS X. Also, I know that it is not a popular choice to have an optical drive, but I want one anyway.

This is my first build and I feel pretty happy with the components (like I say, i have ordered a lot of them), but just wanted to get some advice on cooling. I'm not planning to overclock at the moment and am looking for a system that is quiet (I don't need silent), but obviously cool enough. I've looked long and hard for some information, but what with everyone's builds being different, haven't found anything that I felt was applicable to my build.

I'm planning to use the stock HSF to cool the CPU. Will the stock case fans cool adequately and be quiet enough?
With only one additional fan header on this motherboard, would a second fan plugged directly into the PSU be too noisy?

Is there any other advice you can give me about this build?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

No gpu?

Since you may OC in the future, if u have the money, would be easier to install the cpu cooler now instead of trying to fit it on later (i cant see a cutout in the case so looks like would have to remove the mobo later).

For the extra fans, you could try stock and see how it goes and change if needed. Easier to add later than the cpu cooler.

swiftbiscuit

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Well, first off you are purchasing a z77 motherboard, with a 3570k cpu, this tells me you want to overclock at some point anyways, unless there is some other reason like wifi you are buying these? Yes the prodigy has good cooling for a mitx case. No I would not in a million years leave the stock cooling fan on that cpu =) The prodigy will easily fit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

edit: bahh nevermind I didn't notice you were hackintoshing.. just woke up here in the states and no coffee yet. The build looks good, and yes the stock fan would work, but it would still be a good idea to drop an aftermarket cooler on there, it will be much quiter overall.

ryq

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Thanks both for the quick response. Thanks for the cooler suggestion too - will look into it a bit further.

No GPU because I feel like the Ivy Bridge GPU will be good enough.

Could you perhaps give me some advice on powering the case fans? Would I run one off the mobo header and one from the PSU? If powering from the PSU is there a problem that it would run at full speed?