[SOLVED] Bitlocker issue after entering recovery key

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenonithus

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Hi folks,

I have a Sony Viao laptop. Not used it in a while and I just cannot recall the BL pin. So found my recovery key, entered the key and then it took me to a screen asking to exit and proceed to windows, system settings, troubleshoot, shutdown. I proceeded to exit and enter windows. Though this restarts the pc and brings me back to the bitlocker pin required screen?! Kind of defeating the purpose of a recovery key? Is there something I'm missing here?

Solution
For next references, Windows PE (and install drive) has Bitlocker support (means that you can open it up using a recovery key and issue commands to remove BL protectors over there) and at worst case you can call up a keypack from it and use that+the recovery key to force decrypt the drive.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the recovery key gets you into windows so you can disable BL or change the pin or whatever. it is not meant to be a permanent solution but only an emergency way to get access to your system.

next time go to bitlocker and disable it if you don't want to use it. or change the pin to one you will remember if you plan on using it still.

zenonithus

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Hi math Geek, the issue is that I can't get into Windows. I assume the 'exit and proceed to Windows 10' option would take me straight to Windows, however it just restarts and I go back to the bit locker screen.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if you have a ms account linked to the install, then your key is uploaded to their servers. you can log into your ms account and get the key from there.

no idea what the procedure is since i don't use a ms account but i know they upload and store your key in your account.

zenonithus

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
I finally found the password and was able to get into windows and decrypt the drive. Not sure if the recovery key wasn't working, though the ID matched up so I no idea why it wasnt taking me into windows and instead restarting.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
For next references, Windows PE (and install drive) has Bitlocker support (means that you can open it up using a recovery key and issue commands to remove BL protectors over there) and at worst case you can call up a keypack from it and use that+the recovery key to force decrypt the drive.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.