Bitlocker issue (not clear if it's actually working)

Jun 3, 2018
Hello,

I've just enabled bitlocker in Windows 10 Pro on my laptop. In the Bitlocker management tool it says that bitlocker is on and my entire C drive is encrypted.

However, when doing a bit of googling about bitlocker, I came across the concept of automatic drive encryption and decided to check the System Information tool to see if 'Device Encryption Support' was enabled. The message I get there is that 'Device Encryption Support: Reason for failed automatic device encryption: Hardware Security Test Interface failed, and the device is not InstantGo, disabled by policy'

Is my device encrypted at all in light of this conflicting information? Or am I mistaking automatic drive encyption as being the same as device encryption. It's worth adding that I am not asked to type a password into bitlocker on booting my laptop, and I'm using TMP

If you were not asked to either "Insert a USB flash drive" or "Enter a password" is not working.
Which computer do you have, does it have a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) chip?
It should be listed in the Device Manager. If it doesn't then windows 10 BitLocker won't work.
Does your computer's BIOS support TPM?
You could setup software-based encryption via Local Group Policy Editor, which will enable authentication at startup.

Jun 3, 2018
An Asus zenbook. It has a Trusted Platform Module chip as far as I'm aware. I googled around about the lack of asking for a password or USB previously, and the answers seemed to point to this not being needed with the TPM, and that my standard windows login password was all that was needed

I think you might be right about setting up software based encryption as the way forward

If your system have a TPM chip it should be listed in the Device Manager.
Open Device Manager, expand Security devices. If you have it, then it should read Trusted Platform Module with the version number next to it.

By the way, before you enable BitLocker backup your files. I have seen many users getting locked out of their system after a simple Windows update or for no apparent reason.