[SOLVED] Bizarre crashes that I can't seem to pinpoint the cause of ?

Domino84

Prominent
Sep 5, 2019
I am trying to pin down the reason for my system crashes but I can't seem to put my finger on it. Here is what is happening. First off I have run my XMP profile for over a year with no issue. I even used to play the game I am playing with no issue in the past. I ran into this issue, formatted my computer and fresh installed, but I had stopped playing the game that seems to cause it. My computer runs just fine with an XMP profile of 3200Mhz enabled. It is even what is running right now as I type this message. I will start playing the game Valorant, and as I am playing it will suddenly crash and throw up a BSOD error code of anything it feels like. IRQL_LESS_THAN_EQUAL, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, System kernel error , and the list goes on, it could be any random typical BSOD error. Then when I attempt to reboot it will often crash again immediately. throwing a different random error. I only say they are random crashes because its never anything consistent. Give it a second, reboot and it seems just fine. Other fun stuff I have played valorant all night long with no issue and then the next day chain crashes.

Here is where it gets sticky. if i run the RAM at 2133mhz default, it doesn't ever crash. even playing Valorant, no crashes. The XMP profile makes my computer noticeably faster so I definitely want it to work again.

What I have done to test it. I have run memtest86 for 2 separate times, 8 hour passes. no errors while running @ 3200Mhz.
I've deleted anything like bios tools that were from gigabyte.
I have updated my BIOS to latest, still same issue.
I've uninstalled valorant and reinstalled.
I have run Verifier and have had a a couple issues I resolved, but I do still have an issue that I can't quite resolve given I can't really read Dump files outside of the obvious analyze crash reasons pointing to a system file or driver.
I've tried increasing the voltage to 1.4V instead of 1.35V worked great for one day and then crashes like any other time.
all my drivers are up to date. Latest version of windows I can be on for win 10.

Valorant has a pretty aggresive anti-cheat and it is a real piece of work from what I have read causing some issues on other PCs. I cant imagine that simply overclocking would be the sole reason that game gets pissed off though. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Is it possible the increase in demand from the game could cause a voltage issue that the board can't handle to cause it to crash? I just can't put my finger on this one and I am all ears for ideas to help troubleshoot. I am going to try prime95 as well but I don't know that it will help me figure out if its RAM or the Board going bad.

System details.
I9-990k
Gskill CL14 3200 RAM on the QVL list for my mobo
Aorus master rev 1.0 by gigabyte mobo
1080ti
800PSU 80+gold
NVMe drive 512+ 2TB SSD.

Any help is greatly appreciated

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Those crashes could have corrupted system files.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Open a command prompt in admin mode. (Press Start, type in cmd, right-click cmd.exe, run as admin).
Copy and paste:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Once that is done, C&P:

sfc /scannow
Did corrupted files get replaced? If unsure, read the logs

That is the first step I take when PC starts crashing.

Reactions: Cubrix
Solution

Domino84

Prominent
Sep 5, 2019
Those crashes could have corrupted system files.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Open a command prompt in admin mode. (Press Start, type in cmd, right-click cmd.exe, run as admin).
Copy and paste:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Once that is done, C&P:

sfc /scannow
Did corrupted files get replaced? If unsure, read the logs

That is the first step I take when PC starts crashing.
I've done this one as well. The SFC scan did find a corrupted file and replaced it a while back but I have still had crashes since that time.

TRENDING THREADS