[SOLVED] Bizarre monitor refreshing with noticeable flick sounds

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
I just happened to dismantle my setup to clean it, really some thermal paste and stuff yesterday. I noticed the thermal paste took an all-weird position on the CPU, it resembles what you see when you electrify a wood plank, it looked like the pattern of a lightning, while some places are not even covered at all in the middle. I used a good amount of Arctic MX-4 (which is non-conductive) so that was strange, though rubbing with isopropyl alcohol revealed no visible damage in the processor.

Anyhow I assembled the computer back and there was no problems until I realized I put the PSU by the wrong side up, so I opened it and turned it back. All cables seated finely and checked by hand. But when I booted it back the screen started acting funny especially after I put it on some stress. Sometimes, it distorts the color of some horizontal line, and sometimes the screen refreshes (it closes and opens again) with a noticeable flick or pop sound.
what could be the problem?

Solution
The problem was with drivers. Be wary that AMD Radeon Adrenalin 19.5.2 may cause this kind of behaviour. If happens:
Download the 18.12.3 Driver for AMD Radeon GPU's (for win10 x64)/ 18.12.3 Driver for AMD Radeon GPU's (win7 x64) and Display Driver Uninstaller.
Disconnect the PC from the internet and boot into Safe Mode (no networking, please)
Run DDU and choose GPU-AMD in the dropdown and hit Clean and Restart once it's ready. It'll delete the problematic Adrenalin driver.
When it restarts, install the driver you downloaded as usual.
That should fix it.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
The problem was with drivers. Be wary that AMD Radeon Adrenalin 19.5.2 may cause this kind of behaviour. If happens:
Download the 18.12.3 Driver for AMD Radeon GPU's (for win10 x64)/ 18.12.3 Driver for AMD Radeon GPU's (win7 x64) and Display Driver Uninstaller.
Disconnect the PC from the internet and boot into Safe Mode (no networking, please)
Run DDU and choose GPU-AMD in the dropdown and hit Clean and Restart once it's ready. It'll delete the problematic Adrenalin driver.
When it restarts, install the driver you downloaded as usual.
That should fix it.

Solution