Question Bizarre power/boot problem

Feb 2, 2021
Hi,

I can no longer boot/power on my 7 year old core i5 pc. The other day it would not wake up from sleep, and now it will not boot at all.
The CPU fan and power supply fan spins up, but the front panel LEDs do NOT light.
The case fan (connected to the motherboard) does not spin.
I have tried removing everything, nothing changes. I have tried using only 1 RAM stick in different slots.
When the dvd drive is connected, it spins up.

There is no sign of any component damage. There were no strange noises/smells or random crashes prior to this problem.

At the moment I do not have a speaker connected to the motherboard, but am trying to get hold of one. There are no diagnostic LEDs on the motherboard.

I guess it must be either:

1. The motherboard (MSI H97M-G43)
  2. The CPU (core i5 4440)
  3. The power supply (a Corsair CXM 600W)
Which do you think is most likely, and what could I do to try diagnose?

Thanks

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

7 years is a long time for a PSU to be in use. Are the parts listed the only things in your system? If not, please list all parts in your build so we can better understand if the PSU is incapable of powering your entire system.

Also, that unit you own wasn't the best of units to buy, regardless of what you wanted to do with your system(gaming or overclocking). Perhaps see if a replacement PSU helps revive the system.

Feb 2, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

7 years is a long time for a PSU to be in use. Are the parts listed the only things in your system? If not, please list all parts in your build so we can better understand if the PSU is incapable of powering your entire system.

Also, that unit you own wasn't the best of units to buy, regardless of what you wanted to do with your system(gaming or overclocking). Perhaps see if a replacement PSU helps revive the system.

Hi Lutfij,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion.

The only other parts in my system are the RAM (Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600), the SSD boot drive, and DVD writer drive, all of which I've tried disconnecting but to no avail.
I've also tried resetting the BIOS via the jumper on the MB, and using different power cables to the wall socket.

Do you think the PSU is the most likely culprit?