Bizarre rapid tabbing problem without touching keyboard

carnivalnights

Reputable
May 27, 2015
I am not even sure where to post this because it is such a bizarre problem, and since I am not sure it is a hardware problem, I am posting it here since I am running Windows 8.1.

For two days now my computer has been going haywire. I ran Windows Defender and Spybot - no serious issues, no viruses. I rebooted, did a hard boot. Still the same issue. The only way I can describe this issue is by saying it's like someone is constantly and rapidly clicking Tab on my keyboard - without me touching anything. My cursor will not stay in one place. This starts and stops throughout the day, usually every couple hours for maybe 30 minutes at a time. Right now i have been able to use my computer for three hours or so without it starting again, so there doesn't seem to be a pattern as to the timing. I am unable to use my computer at all when it is happening because it keeps tabbing from where I need my cursor to be, so I can't type anything. I can't install anything. I can't open anything. It just keeps tabbing all over the screen and doesn't stop. I've tried hitting numerous keys like Shift, Ctrl, etc. but nothing stops it from moving.

The day this started, Bell (telecomm company here in Canada) came and installed a Fibe box and a wireless access point/receiver for my internet and cable (looks like this: http://www.arrisi.com/products/_images/hd/vap2500.jpg), which are on my computer desk. They said the wireless receiver needs to be two feet or more away from the Fibe box at all times, and it has been. I still have no idea if this was actually caused by either Bell device, but it was a weird coincidence it happened the same day of the installation.

Because I have a wireless keyboard, I thought maybe the receiver was interfering with the keyboard wireless signal. So I moved both boxes further away. Same issue. I then disconnected the wireless keyboard and used a wired one - same issue. I even popped the tab keys off the wireless keyboard to ensure nothing was making it stick. My mouse is wireless and runs on batteries. I can't see it being a mouse issue but perhaps someone can enlighten me.

This is rendering my PC unusable and I am in the process of job hunting right now, so I need to get this solved ASAP. I'd be grateful for any insight or suggestions people may have. Please let me know if you need any further details.

Reyaz123

Admirable
You can try updating your keyboard and mouse drivers using device manager. Also use windows update to install all updates. Maybe this will help fix it.

Sometimes, a virus scan wouldn't work as well. Download malwarebytes and run a full scan in safe mode with networking, maybe it will detect something that windows defender couldn't do.

carnivalnights

Reputable
May 27, 2015

Thanks, Reyaz123. I tried uninstalling and updating keyboard and mouse drivers. Still persists. I have done Windows updates, run full scans with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes (paid version) - still persists. :(

carnivalnights

Reputable
May 27, 2015
I have tried the following:

-disabled Dell Wireless 1703 Bluetooth; problem persists
-unplugged Xbox wireless controller adapter; problem persists
-moved Bell Vibe box and Bell wireless adapter as far away from the computer as possible; problem persists
-happens across all browsers; not a browser issue
-removed wireless keyboard; problem persists
-tried alternative wired keyboard; problem persists
-turned off wireless mouse; problem persists
-tried alternative wired mouse; problem persists
-uninstalled and reinstalled keyboard and mouse drivers; problem persists
-full Malwarebytes scan; no threats
-full Windows Defender scan; no threats
-if reboot performed while issue is happening, problem still persists at Windows 8 logon/password screen before programs are loaded/started (perhaps eliminates software issue?)

Weeks later, there is still no pattern. It is intermittent. Sometimes it lasts for an hour or two, sometimes 15 minutes. Sometimes it happens 20 times a day, sometimes it happens 5 times a day. The issue disappeared for about two weeks and then came back again without me having done anything different! I am at an UTTER LOSS as to what this could be.

Here is a video of how it behaves: http://youtu.be/J2gxQli7cLk