kajga

Commendable
Jan 18, 2021
Specs:
GPU: XFX RX 580 8gb
CPU: Intel Core i5 3450
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-H61m R3v

Hello, so i have a bizzare pc problem
Basically the problem is regarding the usb ports on the back of my pc (The ones connected to the mobo)
My pc works perfectly fine, but sometimes (Maybe 2-3 times a year) my back usb ports stop working (they still have power but arent identified)
I tried literally everything to fix this, deleted drivers, usb devices from device manager, turned off selective suspending and what not, i even did two factory resets on my pc and nothing worked. Only fix i found for this issue is if i let my pc rest for couple of days and turn it on again, then the ports will work completely fine for atleast couple of months before this issue happens again.
My question is: Is there anything i can do regarding my pc maintenance (both software and hardware) to prevent this from happening again? I can't really afford to change any of the pc parts now just wondering what i can do to prevent this from happening?
Thanks in advance!

kajga

Commendable
Jan 18, 2021
It was the latest bios which was a beta one then i downgraded it to an earlier one which wasnt beta but the problem wasnt fixed

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
I wonder if it is software or hardware. have you tried contact cleaners ? The connectors might have seen a lot of use, since your mainboard is probably about ten years old. I would try cleaning the ports with isopropanol and then spraying some deoxidizing agents onto them or WD 40. But i´m not an expert, googling "cleaning electrical contacts" might give you some good advice on that.

kajga

Commendable
Jan 18, 2021
I wonder if it is software or hardware. have you tried contact cleaners ? The connectors might have seen a lot of use, since your mainboard is probably about ten years old. I would try cleaning the ports with isopropanol and then spraying some deoxidizing agents onto them or WD 40. But i´m not an expert, googling "cleaning electrical contacts" might give you some good advice on that.
Should i procceed to try this even though that there is no dirt or any dust in the ports?

You can try some electrical contact cleaner in those ports, or even mass airflow sensor cleaner which has an even faster clean and evaporate effect, both of which can be obtained at pretty much any auto parts store or even often places like Walmart, but I really doubt that is the problem given the nature of it not being a constant issue, and being an issue that self-resolves after being disconnected from power for a while. If it was contaminated or otherwise surface affected it would be consistent.

What exactly is it that is plugged into your rear USB ports that stops working 2-3 times a year?

Do ALL devices quit working in the rear ports or only specific ones?

What is the ACTUAL model of your motherboard, because what you have listed is not accurate and does not return any results. There are some additional numbers or letters missing from the model.

What is the ACTUAL currently installed BIOS version? Not, "I updated and then downgraded". ACTUAL version number that is currently installed.

kajga

Commendable
Jan 18, 2021
You can try some electrical contact cleaner in those ports, or even mass airflow sensor cleaner which has an even faster clean and evaporate effect, both of which can be obtained at pretty much any auto parts store or even often places like Walmart, but I really doubt that is the problem given the nature of it not being a constant issue, and being an issue that self-resolves after being disconnected from power for a while. If it was contaminated or otherwise surface affected it would be consistent.

What exactly is it that is plugged into your rear USB ports that stops working 2-3 times a year?

Do ALL devices quit working in the rear ports or only specific ones?

What is the ACTUAL model of your motherboard, because what you have listed is not accurate and does not return any results. There are some additional numbers or letters missing from the model.

What is the ACTUAL currently installed BIOS version? Not, "I updated and then downgraded". ACTUAL version number that is currently installed.
My keyboard and mouse are plugged into those two USB ports, all the rear USB ports don't work besides those two (They have power but if i plug something into them my system will get corrupted or i'll get a BSOD and i'll need a fresh windows install, this has been happening for 3 years everytime i plug something in there)
The actual model of the motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-H61MA-D3V (rev 2.0)
The actual current bios is American Megatrends inc. F6, 4/17/2013

So, first thing I'd do is download and install the latest BIOS version, F7c. Yes, it is listed as a Beta BIOS version but it has been there since 2014 which only tells us that there was never any further BIOS support for that board (Which isn't surprising since it's not a board equipped with one of the premium chipsets, and even if it was it probably wouldn't have seen support much past then anyhow since the initial BIOS release had been 2.5 years prior to that) but more importantly, there was never any clear issues with that BIOS version that required it to be updated to a "stable" BIOS release number. If there had been any issues with that BIOS version it would have been removed sometime between 2014 and now. I'd update. Often times there are many fixes for bugs or errata that are not outright listed on the BIOS release which are included in that release despite no mention of the fix. So, that's one possibility.

The other thing I would almost certainly recommend doing, since you don't mention having done it and since you DO mention that you have had this problem a few times a year since day one, is get a fresh tube of thermal interface material (Paste) like Thermal grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NT-H2, Arctic MX-4 or MX-6 (Would avoid MX-5 since it was quickly replaced after release, suggesting there could be a problem with that product) or another decent thermal paste, and pull the CPU cooler to check, VERY CLOSELY, for even the most minute deviation or bent pin on the motherboard CPU socket. Even one slightly bent or deviated pin could be enough to cause an intermittent problem. Changes in room and environmental temperature might be enough to periodically cause that to be a problem. These types of issues it's always a good idea to check that because systems can sometimes run fine with a bent pin but then not, under specific circumstances or conditions.

Besides which, at 9 years old if it's never been replaced it is absolutely well paste time that the thermal paste SHOULD be changed, and even it's been changed but it's been more than three or four years, it's probably still a really good idea.

The other thing you might want to do is to check VERY closely that there are no standoffs under the motherboard that do not line up exactly with all of the standoff mounting holes in the motherboard.

If none of these things check out, then my best guess would be that it is simply an intermittent fault on the motherboard itself. Or, it could simply be related to problems with the Etron USB ports found on that board. Seems like there were a fair number of people who had issues with the Etron USB ports on various boards, and I am unsure if these problems were due to firmware, bad drivers or just poor design of the ports themselves.

What Windows version are you currently running? Have you always been running that Windows version through all the years you've had this problem?

If you are running a newer Windows version, did you do a CLEAN install of that version or are you running an OS that was "upgraded" from a previous version without having done a clean install of that newer version?

kajga

Commendable
Jan 18, 2021
I was using the latest BIOS when the usb ports problem occured so thats why i downgraded the BIOS version.
I'm not sure if i should change the thermal paste considering that the PC was serviced a year and a half ago and the guys at the repair shop said they changed it and did all the other needed work regarding cpu
I'm running windows 10 home version, been running that since I've gotten the pc 2+ years ago, and yeah i did a clean install