[SOLVED] Bizzare scrolling issues

daryldoessound

Reputable
Jul 9, 2018
I've been experiencing strange issues with scroll bars and other things associated with scrolling such as zooming when I hold ctrl. Last night, I was playing some video games and listening to music, I opened Spotify to adjust the volume and when I did I noticed the volume bar was pinned to max. When I tried to lower it, it would quickly return to max position. I thought it was just Spotify but unfortunately it's followed me across multiple apps, but not all of them. As I said it happens with zooming when I hold ctrl but only in Firefox, I've tested it in Chrome, Edge and Brave but I couldn't replicate the zoom problem. Another thing unique to Firefox was the YouTube volume, it would descend or ascend whenever I'd open a video, whereas in Brave I'd have to hoover over the volume slider before it would begin to go one way or another. The scrolling happens in almost every Windows window like when I open a file explorer window it will either be at the top or bottom. One last unique instance before I get into my failed attempts of resolving the issue was in Microsoft Teams, inside the notepad rather than the vertical axis being affected it was the horizontal axis.

What I've tried so far :
New mouse, new keyboard and different USB slots.
Turning the PC off and on again.
Disabling "scroll inactive windows"
Uninstalling USB drivers
Updating windows, drivers and anything I could find with an update button
Restoring Windows to an earlier point (pre issue)
Starting Windows in safe mode

Because of how seemingly random the issue is, I was at a loss for ideas on where to go next so I even reformatted my drives, wiping everything from them and done a fresh install of Windows. I'm beginning to lose hope, please help

Last edited:
Solution
I am going to assume you're using Windows 10. I am guessing that it may not be your mouse and keyboard causing the issue, but maybe another device, virtual or otherwise. Here's what I would try:
  1. Unplug all non-essential peripherals. If the problem desists, try adding back each device individually.
  2. Open device manager through search bar or using Win + X
  3. Disable bluetooth in case it is a wireless device.
  4. Look at the drop downs for "Keyboards" and "Mice and other pointing devices." There may be more devices than you have plugged in.
    AVFRZyZ.jpg
  5. Disable every device that isn't your mouse and keyboard, and see if the problem desists each time. Be careful when disabling mouse devices because they...
Jul 14, 2021
I've had bizarre scrolling issues before but they've spontaneously resolved themselves. At worst, I needed to reboot. I can't give you a good diagnosis but here are two suggestions.

Since the issue is mostly Firefox specific, have your looked at the extensions or plugins? One of them may be the culprit. Try disabling them one by one and see if the problem is fixed. Or try reinstalling Firefox.

Do you have any programs to customize your mouse? For example, Logitech mice and trackpads often come with an app to customize buttons and the speed of the device. See if such a program is loaded upon Startup. If yes, pull up the program and see if anything looks strange. Or better yet, try ending it with Task manager or even removing it from Startup and reboot your computer.

See if your Windows has a tablet mode. When that is accidentally toggled, you can get weird scrolling issues.

Go into the Ease of Access menu and see if anything is accidentally toggled on. Sticky Keys, for example, annoy the hell out of me.

If all else fails, have you considered exorcising your computer...?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021
I've been experiencing strange issues with scroll bars and other things associated with scrolling such as zooming when I hold ctrl. Last night, I was playing some video games and listening to music, I opened Spotify to adjust the volume and when I did I noticed the volume bar was pinned to max. When I tried to lower it, it would quickly return to max position. I thought it was just Spotify but unfortunately it's followed me across multiple apps, but not all of them. As I said it happens with zooming when I hold ctrl but only in Firefox, I've tested it in Chrome, Edge and Brave but I couldn't replicate the zoom problem. Another thing unique to Firefox was the YouTube volume, it would descend or ascend whenever I'd open a video, whereas in Brave I'd have to hoover over the volume slider before it would begin to go one way or another. The scrolling happens in almost every Windows window like when I open a file explorer window it will either be at the top or bottom. One last unique instance before I get into my failed attempts of resolving the issue was in Microsoft Teams, inside the notepad rather than the vertical axis being affected it was the horizontal axis.

What I've tried so far :
New mouse, new keyboard and different USB slots.
Turning the PC off and on again.
Disabling "scroll inactive windows"
Uninstalling USB drivers
Updating windows, drivers and anything I could find with an update button
Restoring Windows to an earlier point (pre issue)
Starting Windows in safe mode

Because of how seemingly random the issue is, I was at a loss for ideas on where to go next so I even reformatted my drives, wiping everything from them and done a fresh install of Windows. I'm beginning to lose hope, please help
Also, do you have any wireless devices connected to your computer through Bluetooth or a dongle? Once, I had forgotten to disable a cordless mouse that I couldn't find. When I used my corded mouse, the lost mouse was still sending signals, causing unintended movements and button presses. It turned out that the cordless mouse had fallen under the seat of my chair so all my movements were clicking the mouse and causing movements. Took awhile to figure that one out!

My advice then is to disable Bluetooth and any other cordless devices and see if the problem persists. Cordless earbuds can definitely affect the volume controls.

operationc4

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
I am going to assume you're using Windows 10. I am guessing that it may not be your mouse and keyboard causing the issue, but maybe another device, virtual or otherwise. Here's what I would try:
  1. Unplug all non-essential peripherals. If the problem desists, try adding back each device individually.
  2. Open device manager through search bar or using Win + X
  3. Disable bluetooth in case it is a wireless device.
  4. Look at the drop downs for "Keyboards" and "Mice and other pointing devices." There may be more devices than you have plugged in.
    AVFRZyZ.jpg
  5. Disable every device that isn't your mouse and keyboard, and see if the problem desists each time. Be careful when disabling mouse devices because they are all called the same thing, and I don't know if there is a surefire way to tell the difference, so keep another mouse handy to re-enable your main mouse should you accidentally disable it.

Last edited:
Solution