Mar 27, 2020
Greetings! So my newlyish built PC(6 months) started crashing and BSOD yesterday(probably 10 times today alone while trying to troubleshoot and replicate the problems). Seemingly random sometimes. Mostly when I am looking at/ changing windows settings or gaming. Boot up Overwatch, ps2, witcher, 3D mark, etc. sometimes they crash, sometimes the pc crashes, but they never run continuously. Sometimes it BSOD uninstalling or installing software (trying to find the culprit).

PC specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
GPU: AMD 5700 xt
RAM:16 gbTrident Z 3600 DDR4
MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Ultra BIOS f12e
SSD: 500gb Samsung EVO (for OS and fast startup games/files)
HHD:1 tb SHD (more files)
PSU: Corsair RM750x

What troubleshooting I've done:
Updated Graphics driver(using DDU)
Updated Chipset driver
Flashed BIOS to newest version
Ran Memcheck, /chkdsk, /scannow, malwarebytes (all came up good)
Health checked the hard drives and they came out healthy

Uninstalled CAM(controls my CPU cooler) because it was showing different temps than ryzen master and I thought maybe they weren't compatible
Ran WhoCrashed and it points to ntoskrnl.exe and ntdll.sys
Ran CPU stress test

Thought maybe psu or gpu. Ran FurMark since 3DMark crashed and it came out fine.

Tried updating Windows but that fails after its gets to 100% saying that "Some update files are missing or have problems"
Tried Fresh start and it fails
Tried a reset and that fails
Last thing I have to try is a clean install of windows

Please help I am basically out of ideas to try and identify the problem. Should I flash to an older BIOS? Should I wipe and install windows? Am I missing something to test? My gut tells me that there is something wrong with Windows and/or my GPU drivers. Thanks in advance for any direction.

Edit: Ok so after the clean install and updating drivers things have changed. I am no longer getting BSOD but now just random crash restarts. Playing games sometimes crash or cause a restart. Sometimes I wont be doing anything and it will restart. Chrome has also be acting weird with tabs losing connection that I just refresh and are fine. Chrome has also crashed a few times. Also the windows search isn't working. I feel like these are all related to some background issue. This makes me think maybe a RAM issue but memcheck looked good. I guess it could be a driver issue or a BIOS incompatibility but at this point I feel like im grasping at straws to figure this out. Please help.

Last edited:
Solution
Ok so I posted several days ago with a variety of issues but after two fresh windows installs and a bios roll back and lot and lots of driver installs I have gotten... what feels like a completely new set of issues. Not completely but it feels that way.

I just have 4 main issues:
  • Games Always crash, not on start up but often soon after, mostly just closing the game but sometimes causing black or blue screens.
  • Randomly Chrome tabs drop connection. Individual tabs load the "Aw Snap" page while I'm using other tabs and i just refresh and everything is fine. Not a real problem but maybe it points to what the real issue is.
  • Installs and Uninstalls(mostly noticed with drivers), Maybe 10% of the time, was using DDU and sometimes...
Mar 27, 2020
Greetings! So my newlyish built PC(6 months) started crashing and BSOD yesterday(probably 10 times today alone while trying to troubleshoot and replicate the problems). Seemingly random sometimes. Mostly when I am looking at/ changing windows settings or gaming. Boot up Overwatch, ps2, witcher, 3D mark, etc. sometimes they crash, sometimes the pc crashes, but they never run continuously. Sometimes it BSOD uninstalling or installing software (trying to find the culprit).

PC specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
RAM:16 gbTrident Z 3600 DDR4
MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Ultra BIOS f12e
SSD: 500gb Samsung EVO (for OS and fast startup games/files)
HHD:1 tb SHD (more files)

What troubleshooting I've done:
Updated Graphics driver(using DDU)
Updated Chipset driver
Flashed BIOS to newest version
Ran Memcheck, /chkdsk, /scannow, malwarebytes (all came up good)
Health checked the hard drives and they came out healthy

Uninstalled CAM(controls my CPU cooler) because it was showing different temps than ryzen master and I thought maybe they weren't compatible
Ran WhoCrashed and it points to ntoskrnl.exe and ntdll.sys
Ran CPU stress test

Thought maybe psu or gpu. Ran FurMark since 3DMark crashed and it came out fine.

Tried updating Windows but that fails after its gets to 100% saying that "Some update files are missing or have problems"
Tried Fresh start and it fails
Tried a reset and that fails
Last thing I have to try is a clean install of windows

Please help I am basically out of ideas to try and identify the problem. Should I flash to an older BIOS? Should I wipe and install windows? Am I missing something to test? My gut tells me that there is something wrong with Windows and/or my GPU drivers. Thanks in advance for any direction.
definitely do the clean install before trying to mess with hardware as it's possible you have some sort of software conflict.
Ok so I did the clean install and it seems nothing has improved as far as the crashes are concerned. I was able to get windows completely updated though.

Also I checked the BIOS update i did and there are several Memory and PCIe device compatibility updates and I'm wondering if maybe it created some incompatibilities. I'm considering flashing to an older bios but I'm not sure if that makes sense or if it does how far back I should go, should I go back the the version I had before. I feel like the issue got worse once I flashed my BIOS but I don't have any numbers to back that up.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020
Ok so I posted several days ago with a variety of issues but after two fresh windows installs and a bios roll back and lot and lots of driver installs I have gotten... what feels like a completely new set of issues. Not completely but it feels that way.

I just have 4 main issues:
  • Games Always crash, not on start up but often soon after, mostly just closing the game but sometimes causing black or blue screens.
  • Randomly Chrome tabs drop connection. Individual tabs load the "Aw Snap" page while I'm using other tabs and i just refresh and everything is fine. Not a real problem but maybe it points to what the real issue is.
  • Installs and Uninstalls(mostly noticed with drivers), Maybe 10% of the time, was using DDU and sometimes it would crash when uninstalling drivers sometimes installing drivers it would crash, sometimes.
-Random black and blue screen crashes

PC specs: (Built around the release of 3rd gen Ryzen)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x (thermal peak around 55-60 under heavy load)
RAM:8x2 gbTrident Z 3600 DDR4
MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Ultra BIOS (was f12e I rolled it back to f11)
SSD: 500gb Samsung EVO
HHD:1 tb SHD

Please help, even while typing this out it has black screened and restarted. I do have the who crashed report for the blue screen crashes but event looking in the event viewer I couldn't find any reason for the black screen crashes.

On Thu 4/2/2020 11:35:15 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040220-6921-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C14E0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF804597EAF0E, 0xFFFF83897AE04880, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 4/2/2020 11:35:15 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x8149)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF804597EAF0E, 0xFFFF83897AE04880, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 4/1/2020 3:05:17 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040120-7296-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF60E00000009, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800660D5418, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.

On Wed 4/1/2020 1:50:02 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040120-7062-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFF8381C2ECDED0, 0x11, 0xFFFF8381C2ECDED0, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.

On Wed 4/1/2020 12:13:44 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040120-7156-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x192 (0xFFFF8B016205D080, 0xFFFF8B01564F9920, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL
Bug check description: This indicates that a lock tracked by AutoBoost was acquired while executing at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.

On Wed 4/1/2020 10:50:12 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040120-7875-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: amdgrfxg.sys (amdgrfxg+0x8C1E2)
Bugcheck code: 0xA0000006 (0x80, 0x4, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0352938.inf_amd64_266b678e219c7db8\B352876\amdgrfxg.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: amdgrfxg.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: amdgrfxg.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. CUSTOM_ERROR

Conclusion

6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

amdgrfxg.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS