Black and white vertical stripes PC crash, only black lit screen after boot

malutukilo

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
Hello everyone,

Yesterday during some gaming (Dark Souls 3), my PC randomly crashed with only black and white vertical stripes on my screen and some distorted sounds coming from the headset.

Upon restart, I found a black screen, except it was illuminated. I tried booting the PC up in safe mode and it worked, however there were two wide stripes running down vertically, which were blue and semi-transparent (only appeared when there was a window with gray colour running through them).
Safe mode with networking results in black screen again.
So far I tried,
-Removing the GPU, reinserting it. LED of the GPU is working properly.
-Removing RAM sticks one by one. Issue persisted.
-Reinstalling the drivers with safe mode. This results in AMD Adrenalin responding with message "Error during hardware detection."
-Even ran the PC through hardware troubleshooting but no cigar.

Important notes:
-Both device manager and OpenHardwareMonitor shows my GPU being there and working properly. However, OpenHardwareMonitor won't show me details about GPU itself, such as the fan info and heat info.
-Before I tried reinstalling drivers, AMD Control Center greeted me with a message saying that the control center could not be reached right now when I tried opening it up.
-There were no hardware changes prior to crash.
-I normally run my PC at a 1600x1200 resolution. It seems the card's having a hard time showing that to me even though the screen is displayed in safe mode.
-The GPU fans spin properly, it seems like.
-A couple months ago, the card was sent to manufacturer for a similiar black screen issue. Apparently they fixed a "memory problem" and the card was running fine until yesterday.

This whole situation is very similiar if not alike to this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3153072/black-white-stripes-computer-crash-longer-turns.html

Specs:
Processor: AMD FX6300
Memory: 12GB (One 8 and two 2)
MOBO: Asus M5A97
BIOS: ASUS EZ - Ver: 04.06.05
GPU: AMD R7 370 2GB GDDR5 STRIX OC

I am able to take screenshots if necessary.
Thank you all very much for your answers in advance.

Solution

No way to know if it can be fixed, hardware issues are not easy to fix in computers unless you have a lab made for testing and repairing them. If it's in warranty, contact support for the card. If not, there won't be a way to know exactly where the issue is.

You can try to underclock the video card...

malutukilo

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

Hello,
The PSU I'm using is an Everest EPS-550SM. I've been using the same PSU and GPU for the last three years though.

Upon another suggestion I tried using DDU software to uninstall all the drivers and reinstal the most recent drivers.
During this process, My PC worked fine in low resolution mode, but during the driver set-up, the screen went black again and never came back.

I can't find anything in English about that PSU, which is often not a good sign about it's quality. How long you were using things does not matter if you mean to say that it was working fine before. Everything that breaks was working at one point right?

malutukilo

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

That's quite right, however that's what I'm trying to find out.

I believe the problem is the GPU, I'm trying to assess whether it's a problem that could be fixed or not.

No way to know if it can be fixed, hardware issues are not easy to fix in computers unless you have a lab made for testing and repairing them. If it's in warranty, contact support for the card. If not, there won't be a way to know exactly where the issue is.

You can try to underclock the video card, at times that can make a failing card work at least for a bit longer.

Solution