[SOLVED] Black bar on right side of screen

chiliem

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
I connected a LG UltraGear 24GN600 monitor to my Lenovo IdeaCentre G5 14IMB05 90N900, for which the recommended resolution is 1920 x 1080 . Choosing this - or any other - resolution - my display doesn't entirely show. At any time, there is a 7cm wide black vertical bar on the right side of my monitor which hides whatever should be visible on the right side of the screen - can't see the notification area on the taskbar.

View: https://imgur.com/a/QVxpLyO

I tried several of the supposed solutions:

I read somewhere this might have something to do with the refresh rate but I changed it to all possible options, to no avail...

I disabled the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER driver, same result...

When taking a screenshot, the entire screen IS visible. Would that fact get us any further?

Last edited:
Solution
Can you parse a picture of the issue? You can upload the image on Imgur and then parse the link to it, here. As for what has been stated, I think you might have a damaged display or the cable might be defective or the GPU might be on the wrong drivers. You might want to rule out a faulty display by taking the panel and hooking it up to another system. A laptop would do as well, so long as you can hook the panel to the display output of donor system.

To rule out a faulty driver, use DDU, uninstall your drivers and then reinstall the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. Source drivers from Nvidia or from Lenovo, whichever is the latest.

Swap cables or inputs to the panel to see if that...

Lutfij

Titan
Can you parse a picture of the issue? You can upload the image on Imgur and then parse the link to it, here. As for what has been stated, I think you might have a damaged display or the cable might be defective or the GPU might be on the wrong drivers. You might want to rule out a faulty display by taking the panel and hooking it up to another system. A laptop would do as well, so long as you can hook the panel to the display output of donor system.

To rule out a faulty driver, use DDU, uninstall your drivers and then reinstall the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. Source drivers from Nvidia or from Lenovo, whichever is the latest.

Swap cables or inputs to the panel to see if that helps you as well.

chiliem

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012

Swap cables or inputs to the panel to see if that helps you as well.

As to swapping the input; I've tried both HDMI and DisplayPort. No difference there.

The display itself has indeed been damaged - there's a crack running diagonally to the bottom right part of the monitor. It was like that when I bought it. I bought it 2nd hand at what seemed a reasonably fair price (189 euro) - hoping I could live with what showed up at my door. The crack I can live with, but part of the screen missing at any time...

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
The display itself has indeed been damaged - there's a crack running diagonally to the bottom right part of the monitor. It was like that when I bought it. I bought it 2nd hand at what seemed a reasonably fair price (189 euro) - hoping I could live with what showed up at my door. The crack I can live with, but part of the screen missing at any time...
There is anything you can do but replace it. Or live with it.

This isn't a clicky software fix, or a bad cable.
The panel itself is damaged.

chiliem

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Yeap, I'll send it back. Since I bought it 2nd hand and it appears to be a popular product (brand new versions were temporarily sold out), I'm not hoping on being served the way I wanted (option: send me new one). So I foresee that in the end I'll just get my money back.
That would give me the option to take a step back.
My former monitor - which I've recently put for sale on a platform - is a 60Hz Samsung SyncMaster B2230 with VGA and DVI-D. Technically, it could still serve if I use an adapter (DisplayPort or HDMI to DVI). But since my tower offers 144 fps, I feel I wouldn't get the most out of my games... However, I'm not the competitive kind - no sports/simulation games, and I won't ever go Overwatch/Fortnite/LoL. Instead, I want to suck all the juice from titles as Skyrim, The Witcher III, SC II, and WWII shooters such as CoD World at War, the most recent pups in the Wolfenstein series... but in single player/campaign mode. I'm in for the stunning visuals.

So I wonder if, in my case, having a 144Hz refresh makes enough of a difference, and if, instead, it wouldn't be better to stick to 60Hz but look for a higher native resolution. Yet I'm in a tight space, so I want to keep the screen diagonal as low as possible...

Any good 24", 4K monitors out there?

chiliem

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Yeap, I'll send it back. Since I bought it 2nd hand and it appears to be a popular product (brand new versions were temporarily sold out), I'm not hoping on being served the way I wanted (option: send me new one). So I foresee that in the end I'll just get my money back.
That would give me the option to take a step back.
My former monitor - which I've recently put for sale on a platform - is a 60Hz Samsung SyncMaster B2230 with VGA and DVI-D. Technically, it could still serve if I use an adapter (DisplayPort or HDMI to DVI). But since my tower offers 144 fps, I feel I wouldn't get the most out of my games... However, I'm not the competitive kind - no sports/simulation games, and I won't ever go Overwatch/Fortnite/LoL. Instead, I want to suck all the juice from titles as Skyrim, The Witcher III, SC II, and WWII shooters such as CoD World at War, the most recent pups in the Wolfenstein series... but in single player/campaign mode. I'm in for the stunning visuals.

So I wonder if, in my case, having a 144Hz refresh makes enough of a difference, and if, instead, it wouldn't be better to stick to 60Hz but look for a higher native resolution. Yet I'm in a tight space, so I want to keep the screen diagonal as low as possible...

Any good 24", 4K monitors out there?

TRENDING THREADS