Black Bars of Death at 1920x1200

Kio Genesis

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
This is my first PC that was built around 5 months ago. My GPU is the GTX 760 and the first thing I did with my monitor was to set it to 1920x1080. When I first got the game Watch Dogs, I set the in-game resolution to 1920x1080, because it wasn't running at that resolution from the start. My monitor's native resolution is 1024x768. When i was done playing I closed the game and found that the screen was slightly zoomed in and edges were cut. This happened for some reason even though the monitor displayed 1920x1080 perfectly fine before. I also found that all my games wouldn't run at 1920x1080 either, it was the same problem with the screen being zoomed in and having edges cut. My solution was just setting a new resolution which was 1920x1200. I ran that resolution on the desktop and on all my games for about 4 months. I recently purchased a new game which didn't have a 1920x1200 option available, so I set the in-game resolution to 1680x1050 since 1920x1080 won't work. I played the game for about half an hour and when I closed it I found that I had two lovely black bars on the bottom and right-side of my screen. It looks like the screen just slid out of place. I went to the Nvidia Control Panel and tried to move the position, but the screen just goes behind the black bars. The only visible corner is the bottom right corner which has been raised about 1 cm and pushed left 4 cm. I can't see the start button or half my first column of icons. I've searched for solutions but i couldn't find any. The only solution that I came close to was going to the Nvidia Control Panel, and setting the display to "No Scaling", and selecting the GPU to perform scaling on. For some reason the only option available there is the Display, no GPU option. Sadly this problem also affects my games, meaning I can no longer play at 1920x1200. I tried going to 1920x1440, my monitor can only go so high. If you have a solution please help, I would very much like to resume using my PC at a nice resolution.

Solution
If your native resolution is 1024x768 then you should be running 1024x768. Thats as high as your monitor can go. Forcing a higher resolution won't accomplish anything and will make it look worse and waste GPU resources.