Black border after Windows update

Ember369

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Hi,

I had a Windows 10 update yesterday (OS Build 16299.371) and after installing, I now have a small black border (about 3mm thick) around both of my displays that weren't there before.
I looked at my laptop which is running Windows 7, and asked a friend, and both have a black border maybe a couple of pixels wide, but nowhere near what I now have.

My displays are an Asus pg279q, and an old Samsung tv (not sure the exact model).

Can anyone help?

Solution
Sounds like your display outputs are implementing underscan, which means sending a smaller image to avoid the edges being clipped by overscan (similar to zooming in) in your displays, as the poorly implemented HDMI interface on most consumer video displays still implement the archaic feature known as overscan.

In the control panel for your graphics card, which is normally found through a system tray icon, the Windows Desktop context menu, or possibly even somewhere in the Start menu, you should have the ability to control overscan compensation. Just look for the slider and move it until the image fills your screen.

If this doesn't help, you may have to take other measures to prevent the issue.

I know with many Samsung flat screen TV...
Sounds like your display outputs are implementing underscan, which means sending a smaller image to avoid the edges being clipped by overscan (similar to zooming in) in your displays, as the poorly implemented HDMI interface on most consumer video displays still implement the archaic feature known as overscan.

In the control panel for your graphics card, which is normally found through a system tray icon, the Windows Desktop context menu, or possibly even somewhere in the Start menu, you should have the ability to control overscan compensation. Just look for the slider and move it until the image fills your screen.

If this doesn't help, you may have to take other measures to prevent the issue.

I know with many Samsung flat screen TV models, not CRT based, if you rename the HDMI input your computer is plugged into to "PC", the TV will turn off the stupid overscan feature and instead give you a correct 1:1 pixel representation for your computer input.

As for your ASUS display, it may be worth using the DP input if you aren't already.

Solution