GeForce GTX 1070Ti
16GB of Corsair 3000 RAM
ASRock B350 ATX/ac Mobo
Windows 10 Education

3 Drives:
1TB NVMe (Boot)
1TB SATA (Mass)
4TB WD USB (Mass)

Hi everyone, I'm having an issue that is terrifying to me.
I ran 2 games at the same time and PC crashed. Upon restart, Admin account had black screen.
For the past week, the guest account is what I'm using. It barely works.

Solutions I've Tried

1. On Admin side, I ran Task Manager and tried to run explorer.exe. Same for winreset.exe to try restarting system OS.
  2. CHKDSK & SRC /SCANNOW don't find any errors. DISM.exe /RESTOREHEALTH is a different story. This consistently pauses @ 81% with the error "Check SOURCE".
  3. This SOURCE refers to the Windows Image, so I extracted SOURCE FILE from .iso and the same error still occurs. DISM.exe /ScanHealth returns that errors are found.
  4. These tests had to be run on USB -> NVMe from my laptop because Guest Account doesn't have Admin Rights. When Dialog Box appears to enter Admin Credentials, the system freezes after inputting Credentials. Only way to unfreeze is to Win + L, then unlock Guest Account again. s
  5. Since no proper admin access, I can't run "setup.exe" from Windows Install USB. This causes a problem because it means I have to fresh install Windows. The 1TB I have is all school data that can't be deleted. If I back it up to my 4TB, it will take 2 weeks.
I'm stuck. I don't know what to do. The people I've talked to all tell me to clean install Windows. I don't know what other options I have.
I've scoured the forum for solutions to this problem and I've tried everything.
I know it's something to do with the User Enviro. but not sure where. I can't make new accounts from CMD because the same Admin freeze happens.

Please help, any feedback/ advice is really appreciated.
Thank you so much !
-Isa​

Solution
I would clean install if you can't get into Windows on your user
You only need to install it on c drive, remove other 2 drives until after you clean install, if data is on them, you lose nothing.
I chose other as you can't reset without a user account it recognises

Colif

Win 11 Master
You only need to install it on c drive, remove other 2 drives until after you clean install, if data is on them, you lose nothing.

Last edited:
Solution

isa108

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013

The issue is this will wipe my C drive, I can't backup data unless I wait 2 weeks for full transfer. Is it truly the final option?

TRENDING THREADS