[SOLVED] Black display crash and GPU fans spinning 100% unless I hard reboot ?

May 10, 2022
Updated my drivers about 3 months ago as they were 4 months out of date and since then my computer keeps black screening and the GPU fans spin at 100% speed, the only way to stop it is to reboot the whole PC. Started happening now on every single game I play every night. Has anyone had this issue before with their GPU?

Also sometimes when it crashes it de-installs my AMD software/drivers but this happens maybe 1 in every 10 crashes.

Hardware:

• MSI AMD RX580 8GB
  • Corsair VS650 PSU
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
I've tried:
  • Reseating the GPU
  • Cleaning all power connectors
  • Monitoring temperatures with core temps/MSI afterburner
  • Set the paging files to see if it has something to do with being near the RAM usage
  • Ran the windows system file checker through command prompt, a bunch of corrupted files but can't tell whether the issue has been fixed from this
  • Ran the AMD clean-up utility to remove all previous drivers and install them from fresh
  • Taken the whole computer apart and cleaned every piece of hardware however I don't think it's a hardware problem as it only started happening when I updated the drivers.
  • Messed around with the AMD software trying to overclock the GPU/increase the performance but that made it way worse
I'm thinking it's the PSU, I've had the same PSU for 8 or 9 years now and the graphics card isn't even 3 years old so maybe when I updated the drivers that triggered an issue with the PSU? I did notice that on the performance tuning tab that state 4 had a higher voltage than the 3 states above it? I'm really not sure what to try out next other than start buying new hardware....any help would be great!

Edit: Found the below thread on the Nvidia forums with multiple people having the same problem as myself, nearly all fixes have pointed towards the power supply/power supply connectors so maybe mine are just so old they need replacing? PSU has lasted me years and I've used it on 2 different systems so I may buy a 750w PSU and see if it fixes the problems

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
The symptoms you're observing are fairly common and are typically either temperature or power-related.

Replacing the PSU is a good idea. Modern Corsair VS are fine entry-level PSUs for basic PCs, but shouldn't be paired with something like an RX 580. But if it's eight or nine years old and has orange letters, then it's a quite abysmal PSU that should definitely never have been running this GPU and there's an increased chance that it damaged the GPU.

Reactions: P4TTL
May 10, 2022
The symptoms you're observing are fairly common and are typically either temperature or power-related.

Replacing the PSU is a good idea. Modern Corsair VS are fine entry-level PSUs for basic PCs, but shouldn't be paired with something like an RX 580. But if it's eight or nine years old and has orange letters, then it's a quite abysmal PSU that should definitely never have been running this GPU and there's an increased chance that it damaged the GPU.

I hope it hasn't damaged the GPU, it's usually fine when on sometimes but for others, it will cut out more like a power spike cuts the whole system off, and the GPU fans power to the max in order to protect it or something?

What PSU would you recommend? I've never swapped one out :/ found this list on another thread, budget is definitely an issue for me as well

May 10, 2022
Still looking for a solution, purchased a new PSU Corsair CX650M and still have the same issue, only thing I can think of now is a new GPU...

edit: replacing the PSU seems to have caused the problem to happen even more, crashed 4 times tonight when it's usually once a night...

Last edited:
May 10, 2022
Used DDU to completely remove everything driver wise and re-install all drivers/AMD software, will have to test out later to see if the computer crashes

Using AMD performance tuning and manually adjusting the GPU mv on any state causes it to instantly crash on the stress test? no matter if it's lower mv or higher

Last edited: