News Black Friday 2021 — what to expect, start and early deals

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
Gee, where is the list of GPU deals?

I jest, of course. Several months ago I stated there won't be any this BF, nor Christmas.
Maybe next year(but don't hold your breath).
Ethereum and other GPU mining isn't going away any time soon. PoS isn't going to eliminate it for years still.

Old Molases

Prominent
May 3, 2021
Gee, where is the list of GPU deals?

I jest, of course. Several months ago I stated there won't be any this BF, nor Christmas.
Maybe next year(but don't hold your breath).
Ethereum and other GPU mining isn't going away any time soon. PoS isn't going to eliminate it for years still.
In total accord with what you said mate.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Are we even having a Black Friday this year? I thought it would be cancelled due to all the supply chain and logistics problems going on. Things are so bad that companies are begging the government to have the military handle supply chain logistics now. Improve working conditions, pay more, more time off, increase staff? Nah, let's just have the taxpayers pay to have soldiers drive container trucks.

The BF for this year will be worse than last year. The reason is that last year there was still inventory in the supply chain which was never disrupted as much as it has been this year. Case in point: just look off the coast of California with dozens of container ships anchored for weeks on end waiting to get unloaded because there are not enough warehouse workers to move the containers. Each fully cellular container ship carries at least 10,000 containers between a typical mix of 20 and 40 footers, and each of those have 1,150 and 2,400 cubic feet of storage space respectively. To put that into perspective, each standard 48x40" pallet with boxes of product stacked 60" tall takes up 66.67 cubic feet.

So we are talking a LOT of product out there not moving downstream to destinations. That never happened last year. And contrary to the comment above, there is no driver shortage. I'm in the logistics business and have been so for nearly 15 years. It's 1) the manufacturers not running at full capacity of production (many reasons why) and warehouses are not getting inbound product as mentioned with the container ships. On top of that, manufacturer and vendor distribution centers (like Wal Mart, Target, Old Navy, etc.) are not being able to recruit enough workers or keep them to get product to the end store destinations. Even with ads out there paying up to $20/hr - three times the federal minimum wage (this is all US referenced of course but Europe has similar issues).

And of course there are the non-existent consoles, specifically the Playstation 5. The good news for PC gaming is that even if you can't find a new GPU for your new build, you can find decent pre-builds from Etailers like NewEgg with the latest 3-series Nivdia and 6-series AMD GPUs. So all is not entirely lost, but from my Supply Chain seat, we will not be seeing anything close to what we took for granted in times past on getting what we wanted when we wanted it anytime soon if not anytime ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: plateLunch

plateLunch

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
Your listing for the WD Black SN750 500GB is missing two important letters: "SE". The WD Black SN750 500GB SE is a very different device from the previous WD Black SN750 500GB.

Apr 1, 2020
The 5800X is cheaper at Amazon at $386.99 vs your listing for Newegg at $393, but even at that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who didn't have to have a new processor immediately. AMD's impending 3D Cache Zen 3 Refresh models are inbound in the first part of next year which should depress existing Ryzen 5000 series prices nicely.