Black game tab while exiting with Alt-Tab or the Windows key

Jul 20, 2018
So, I've had this problem on a few computers over the years, so I think it computer isn't the problem. The problem is whenever I Alt-Tab or press the windows key to make a quick google search or something. Then the game makes the entire screen go black, or in my current situation, (with Rocket League), it makes a large black rectangle in the top left-hand side of my screen, so I only have so much space to make a Google Chrome tab open. Now, I tried to use task manager, and it worked for a while, but because this isn't really my computer, I don't have administrative privileges and I attempted to close Steam entirely, resulting in an error message telling me I cannot stop it because blah blah blah. So now the black screen is covering up the error message, so I cannot close it, so I can't use the task manager. In the future, if I have this problem again, how can I prevent or close a program without too much of a hassle? (Also, my computer is quite cool to the touch, and is capable of running many if not all current triple A games, so I don't think graphics is the issue.)

Solution
Take a look at the Reliability History.

Do so by typing "Reliability History" into the "Type here to search" box.

Look for "Red-x circles" and "Yellow-! triangles". Click for more information.

Error codes and/or warnings should prove helpful. Post what you find.

Ralston18

Titan
May well be some configuration setting that you establish and use for gaming based on the black game tab problem being "on a few computers over the years".

Whose computer is it? Most likely any fix or solution will require administrative rights to the computer.

Please provide more information.

Jul 20, 2018

Well, the computer should me mine, but due to my age my mother doesn't agree. So I just needed to know how to fix I it without having to restart the computer because I cannot log back in. I have fixed the problem by a restart, and got the password from her later, but I feel as if there should be another solution. Also, when the game goes black, it renders it's portion of the screen useless. Whenever doing this with Fallout 4, it would make the entire screen black, without a solution other than a complete restart. But then again, that isn't the solution that I am currently looking for. Is there any way to access the task manager without opening it in a window?

Ralston18

Titan
Take a look at the Reliability History.

Do so by typing "Reliability History" into the "Type here to search" box.

Look for "Red-x circles" and "Yellow-! triangles". Click for more information.

Error codes and/or warnings should prove helpful. Post what you find.

Solution