Black Ink problems in an Epson Photo 820

I have a question about the ink in an Epson Stylus Photo 820. I've had this
printer for several years, using it as a secondary printer for photos. My
general printer is an old Stylus color 800.

I don't use the 820 as often as I thought I would, so I have to deal with
the cleaning cycles more often than I wish. I use the Windex on the ink pad
trick and it usually works OK.

However, what's been happening recently is that even after the windex and
cleaning cycles, the black square on the test pattern will still have major
white streaks in it. The color squares are fine.

I have two questions:

Is it possible to trigger a cleaning cycle for only the black cartridge,
like in my old Stylus 800? I hate the idea of wasting the color ink trying
to clean out the black.

My other question is: Can the black ink cartridge be too old? I pulled up
the printer information and it shows the black cartridge production date as
7/2001 (I can't believe I've had it that long without changing it). Both
cartridges show about half full, and the last time I printed some photos
with it (about 4 weeks ago), they came out fine. I've only used Epson
cartridges. I have a new black cartridge, but I don't want to open it if it's
not going to make a difference. With the cost of the photo printers, I
could take the cartridge back and apply the refund to a new printer.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

- Mike O.

They recommend that once you open and use a cartridge to replace it after 6
months. I am sure you can go longer than that but 2001 is a long time.

"Mike O'Donnell" <msodonnell@that-smile.com> wrote in message
>I have a question about the ink in an Epson Stylus Photo 820. I've had
>this printer for several years, using it as a secondary printer for photos.
>My general printer is an old Stylus color 800.
>
> I don't use the 820 as often as I thought I would, so I have to deal with
> the cleaning cycles more often than I wish. I use the Windex on the ink
> pad trick and it usually works OK.
>

> However, what's been happening recently is that even after the windex and
> cleaning cycles, the black square on the test pattern will still have
> major white streaks in it. The color squares are fine.
>

> I have two questions:
>

> Is it possible to trigger a cleaning cycle for only the black cartridge,
> like in my old Stylus 800? I hate the idea of wasting the color ink
> trying to clean out the black.
>

> My other question is: Can the black ink cartridge be too old? I pulled up
> the printer information and it shows the black cartridge production date
> as 7/2001 (I can't believe I've had it that long without changing it).
> Both cartridges show about half full, and the last time I printed some
> photos with it (about 4 weeks ago), they came out fine. I've only used
> Epson cartridges. I have a new black cartridge, but I don't want to open
> it if it's not going to make a difference. With the cost of the photo
> printers, I could take the cartridge back and apply the refund to a new
> printer.
>

> Any opinions would be appreciated.
>
> - Mike O.

Answers integrated into text

Mike O'Donnell wrote:

> I have a question about the ink in an Epson Stylus Photo 820. I've had this
> printer for several years, using it as a secondary printer for photos. My
> general printer is an old Stylus color 800.
>
> I don't use the 820 as often as I thought I would, so I have to deal with
> the cleaning cycles more often than I wish. I use the Windex on the ink pad
> trick and it usually works OK.
>

> However, what's been happening recently is that even after the windex and
> cleaning cycles, the black square on the test pattern will still have major
> white streaks in it. The color squares are fine.
>

> I have two questions:
>

> Is it possible to trigger a cleaning cycle for only the black cartridge,
> like in my old Stylus 800? I hate the idea of wasting the color ink trying
> to clean out the black.

No. The 820 has only one cleaning station and therefore one purge pump
for all the heads, so all get cleaned at the same time.

> My other question is: Can the black ink cartridge be too old? I pulled up
> the printer information and it shows the black cartridge production date as
> 7/2001 (I can't believe I've had it that long without changing it). Both
> cartridges show about half full, and the last time I printed some photos
> with it (about 4 weeks ago), they came out fine. I've only used Epson
> cartridges. I have a new black cartridge, but I don't want to open it if it's
> not going to make a difference. With the cost of the photo printers, I
> could take the cartridge back and apply the refund to a new printer.

Yes. That's an old cartridge, and I expect the ink has become too thick
since there is an exposure to air through a vent. You can remove it and
add several eyedroppers full of ammoniated window cleaner to it to
dilute it slightly. It will also help to break up the clogs.

If you do not have my cleaning document which will explain about
underhead cleaning, email me privately and ask for it.

Art

"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Answers integrated into text
>
> Mike O'Donnell wrote:
>
>> I have a question about the ink in an Epson Stylus Photo 820. I've had
>> this printer for several years, using it as a secondary printer for
>> photos. My general printer is an old Stylus color 800.
>>
>> I don't use the 820 as often as I thought I would, so I have to deal with
>> the cleaning cycles more often than I wish. I use the Windex on the ink
>> pad trick and it usually works OK.
>>

>> However, what's been happening recently is that even after the windex and
>> cleaning cycles, the black square on the test pattern will still have
>> major white streaks in it. The color squares are fine.
>>

>> I have two questions:
>>

>> Is it possible to trigger a cleaning cycle for only the black cartridge,
>> like in my old Stylus 800? I hate the idea of wasting the color ink
>> trying to clean out the black.
>>

> No. The 820 has only one cleaning station and therefore one purge pump
> for all the heads, so all get cleaned at the same time.
>

>> My other question is: Can the black ink cartridge be too old? I pulled
>> up the printer information and it shows the black cartridge production
>> date as 7/2001 (I can't believe I've had it that long without changing
>> it). Both cartridges show about half full, and the last time I printed
>> some photos with it (about 4 weeks ago), they came out fine. I've only
>> used Epson cartridges. I have a new black cartridge, but I don't want to
>> open it if it's not going to make a difference. With the cost of the
>> photo printers, I could take the cartridge back and apply the refund to a
>> new printer.
>>

> Yes. That's an old cartridge, and I expect the ink has become too thick
> since there is an exposure to air through a vent. You can remove it and
> add several eyedroppers full of ammoniated window cleaner to it to dilute
> it slightly. It will also help to break up the clogs.
>
> If you do not have my cleaning document which will explain about underhead
> cleaning, email me privately and ask for it.
>

> Art
>>
>> Any opinions would be appreciated.
>>
>> - Mike O.

Thanks. I would like a copy of the cleaning document, I've sent you an
email requesting it.

You talked about "several eyedroppers" of ammoniated cleaner, that sounds
like a lot considering the size of the cartridge. Also, considering the
amount that would be going into the cartridge, would it be better to use
plain ammonia?

On a related note, do you have any thoughts on the R200 printer? I print
labels that I put on CD's, and being able to print directly would be a nice
feature. Also, I really like the idea of individual ink color cartridges
instead of disposing of a six color cart just because you're out of one
color. Do you know if those can be cleaned individually?

The R200's are going for abour $80 locally, and changing both of the
cartridges for my current Photo 820 would run about $50..

Mike O.

Use your judgment on the amount of ammonia to add. I would stick to
pre-mixed window cleaner (with ammonia). Try a smaller amount to start
and see if it is enough. Never use more than required to have the ink
flow well.

As far as I'm concerned the R200 is a toss away printer. Apparently,
once the waste ink pads fill, the chassis is so flimsy that they have to
replace the whole bottom of the printer to replace the waste ink pads,
meaning the cost is probably near/more what the printer is worth new.

Individual ink cartridges do not have individual cleaning stations.
Most, if not all of the recent Epson printers have only one cleaning
station. Individual cartridges save ink on 6 color systems, because the
LC and LM always run out first. On 4 color machines the advantage of
individual cartridges is usually lost, due to extra cleaning and purging
cycles.

Art

Mike O'Donnell wrote:

> [...]
>>>

> Thanks. I would like a copy of the cleaning document, I've sent you an
> email requesting it.
>
> You talked about "several eyedroppers" of ammoniated cleaner, that sounds
> like a lot considering the size of the cartridge. Also, considering the
> amount that would be going into the cartridge, would it be better to use
> plain ammonia?
>
> On a related note, do you have any thoughts on the R200 printer? I print
> labels that I put on CD's, and being able to print directly would be a nice
> feature. Also, I really like the idea of individual ink color cartridges
> instead of disposing of a six color cart just because you're out of one
> color. Do you know if those can be cleaned individually?
>
> The R200's are going for abour $80 locally, and changing both of the
> cartridges for my current Photo 820 would run about $50..

Replies mixed in the text

> Use your judgment on the amount of ammonia to add. I would stick to
> pre-mixed window cleaner (with ammonia). Try a smaller amount to start
> and see if it is enough. Never use more than required to have the ink
> flow well.

I'll go ahead and try the window cleaner stuff, I don't have much to lose at
this point. I assume I just remove the cartridge and put some in the
opening on the cartridge that the ink flows from, correct? After I put the
stuff in, do I need to mix or shake it or wait any time until I replace the
cartridge? I don't want to start to put the cartridge back and have all the
cleaner fall out.

> As far as I'm concerned the R200 is a toss away printer. Apparently, once
> the waste ink pads fill, the chassis is so flimsy that they have to
> replace the whole bottom of the printer to replace the waste ink pads,
> meaning the cost is probably near/more what the printer is worth new.

Unfortunately, it seems like any of the low cost printers are disposable.
When the ink cost is 2/3 of the cost of a new, better printer it's hard to
justify keeping the old one too long. For my amount of use, with the cost
of commercial prints in the 19 cent range, it's pretty hard to even justify
a cheap $80 printer, let alone some high end $300+ model. It's just so nice
to be able to pull the pics up on the computer, tweak them, and get the
immediate print. Or take pics at a family get together and print out
snapshots for everyone to take home before they leave.

If I was going to replace my Photo 820, and with the amount of my uses,
which printer would you suggest? I've seen that it usually works better to
keep the paper and printer matched, and I have a fairly broad mix of Epson
papers, so I'd prefer to stay in the Epson line, or at least with a printer
that will work well with the Epson paper.

> Individual ink cartridges do not have individual cleaning stations. Most,
> if not all of the recent Epson printers have only one cleaning station.
> Individual cartridges save ink on 6 color systems, because the LC and LM
> always run out first. On 4 color machines the advantage of individual
> cartridges is usually lost, due to extra cleaning and purging cycles.

I know I don't go through the cartridges too much (that's probably why I'm
having the original problem!), but it's always bugged me to throw away a 3
color (or 6 color) cartridge when only one is empty.

> Art

Thanks for answering.

Mike O'Donnell wrote:

>Replies mixed in the text
>

>"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
>

>>Use your judgment on the amount of ammonia to add. I would stick to
>>pre-mixed window cleaner (with ammonia). Try a smaller amount to start
>>and see if it is enough. Never use more than required to have the ink
>>flow well.
>>

>I'll go ahead and try the window cleaner stuff, I don't have much to lose at
>this point.

INKY STINKY AFTERMARKET PROBLEMS. I TOLD THEM SO AHA HA HA HA

Mike O'Donnell wrote:
> Replies mixed in the text
>

> "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
>
>>Use your judgment on the amount of ammonia to add. I would stick to
>>pre-mixed window cleaner (with ammonia). Try a smaller amount to start
>>and see if it is enough. Never use more than required to have the ink
>>flow well.
>>

> I'll go ahead and try the window cleaner stuff, I don't have much to lose at
> this point. I assume I just remove the cartridge and put some in the
> opening on the cartridge that the ink flows from, correct? After I put the
> stuff in, do I need to mix or shake it or wait any time until I replace the
> cartridge? I don't want to start to put the cartridge back and have all the
> cleaner fall out.

Yes, just put it into the ink outlet hole and gently rock the cartridge
to mix it a bit. Then turn it over and return it to the printer.

>>As far as I'm concerned the R200 is a toss away printer. Apparently, once
>>the waste ink pads fill, the chassis is so flimsy that they have to
>>replace the whole bottom of the printer to replace the waste ink pads,
>>meaning the cost is probably near/more what the printer is worth new.
>

> Unfortunately, it seems like any of the low cost printers are disposable.
> When the ink cost is 2/3 of the cost of a new, better printer it's hard to
> justify keeping the old one too long. For my amount of use, with the cost
> of commercial prints in the 19 cent range, it's pretty hard to even justify
> a cheap $80 printer, let alone some high end $300+ model. It's just so nice
> to be able to pull the pics up on the computer, tweak them, and get the
> immediate print. Or take pics at a family get together and print out
> snapshots for everyone to take home before they leave.
>
> If I was going to replace my Photo 820, and with the amount of my uses,
> which printer would you suggest? I've seen that it usually works better to
> keep the paper and printer matched, and I have a fairly broad mix of Epson
> papers, so I'd prefer to stay in the Epson line, or at least with a printer
> that will work well with the Epson paper.

You're right. There is not a lot of choice in the Epson line up right
now. The 200, 300 and 320 are all based upon the same basic design, and
others are costly.

>>Individual ink cartridges do not have individual cleaning stations. Most,
>>if not all of the recent Epson printers have only one cleaning station.
>>Individual cartridges save ink on 6 color systems, because the LC and LM
>>always run out first. On 4 color machines the advantage of individual
>>cartridges is usually lost, due to extra cleaning and purging cycles.
>

> I know I don't go through the cartridges too much (that's probably why I'm
> having the original problem!), but it's always bugged me to throw away a 3
> color (or 6 color) cartridge when only one is empty.

In the 3 color system, most people find that they run out of all 3
colors (CMY) at almost the same time anyway, so one is rarely tossing
away much ink. Also, you can drain them and use the ink in a refill if
you wish.

> Mike O'Donnell wrote:
>> Replies mixed in the text
>>

>> "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>Use your judgment on the amount of ammonia to add. I would stick to
>>>pre-mixed window cleaner (with ammonia). Try a smaller amount to start
>>>and see if it is enough. Never use more than required to have the ink
>>>flow well.
>>>

>> I'll go ahead and try the window cleaner stuff, I don't have much to lose
>> at this point. I assume I just remove the cartridge and put some in the
>> opening on the cartridge that the ink flows from, correct? After I put
>> the stuff in, do I need to mix or shake it or wait any time until I
>> replace the cartridge? I don't want to start to put the cartridge back
>> and have all the cleaner fall out.
>>

> Yes, just put it into the ink outlet hole and gently rock the cartridge to
> mix it a bit. Then turn it over and return it to the printer.

I didn't have a dropper handy, so I used the tube from a can of compressed
air. Even with the little bit that provided, I saw amazing results. Prior
to this, the black square in the test pattern was about 60% solid. After
those few drops, the square went to almost solid black with two faint white
lines.

[stuff snipped...]

>>>Individual ink cartridges do not have individual cleaning stations. Most,
>>>if not all of the recent Epson printers have only one cleaning station.
>>>Individual cartridges save ink on 6 color systems, because the LC and LM
>>>always run out first. On 4 color machines the advantage of individual
>>>cartridges is usually lost, due to extra cleaning and purging cycles.
>>

>> I know I don't go through the cartridges too much (that's probably why
>> I'm having the original problem!), but it's always bugged me to throw
>> away a 3 color (or 6 color) cartridge when only one is empty.
>>

> In the 3 color system, most people find that they run out of all 3 colors
> (CMY) at almost the same time anyway, so one is rarely tossing away much
> ink. Also, you can drain them and use the ink in a refill if you wish.

I know it probably evens out, it's just that the thought of being forced to
discard the cartridge when I just KNOW darn well that there's a few drops of
good ink in the other chambers... (yes, I'm kidding. I'm not quite that
picky..)

Thanks again.
Mike O.

Hi Mike,

Glad it's working for you. Magic, eh?

Art

Mike O'Donnell wrote:

> "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
>

>>Mike O'Donnell wrote:
>>
>>>Replies mixed in the text
>>>

>>>"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message

>>>I'll go ahead and try the window cleaner stuff, I don't have much to lose
>>>at this point. I assume I just remove the cartridge and put some in the
>>>opening on the cartridge that the ink flows from, correct? After I put
>>>the stuff in, do I need to mix or shake it or wait any time until I
>>>replace the cartridge? I don't want to start to put the cartridge back
>>>and have all the cleaner fall out.
>>>

>>Yes, just put it into the ink outlet hole and gently rock the cartridge to
>>mix it a bit. Then turn it over and return it to the printer.
>>

> I didn't have a dropper handy, so I used the tube from a can of compressed
> air. Even with the little bit that provided, I saw amazing results. Prior
> to this, the black square in the test pattern was about 60% solid. After
> those few drops, the square went to almost solid black with two faint white
> lines.
>

> [stuff snipped...]

>>>I know I don't go through the cartridges too much (that's probably why
>>>I'm having the original problem!), but it's always bugged me to throw
>>>away a 3 color (or 6 color) cartridge when only one is empty.
>>>

>>In the 3 color system, most people find that they run out of all 3 colors
>>(CMY) at almost the same time anyway, so one is rarely tossing away much
>>ink. Also, you can drain them and use the ink in a refill if you wish.
>>

> I know it probably evens out, it's just that the thought of being forced to
> discard the cartridge when I just KNOW darn well that there's a few drops of
> good ink in the other chambers... (yes, I'm kidding. I'm not quite that
> picky..)
>

> Thanks again.
> Mike O.

Look up SSC Service Utility. It will do separate black or color cleaning and
a lot more. Try looking for it on Google and download utility program.