Question Black lines on screen, broken battery, and missing keyboard keys

Mar 24, 2019
The title explains it pretty all. Pretty sure I have dead pixels. It's an HP laptop. Is it even worth replacing the parts at this point? Would I be better off buying another laptop (not HP and definitely NOT Acer)?

EDIT: The laptop itself is an old HP Laptop. Costed around 300-500 dollars, don't exactly remember the price off the top of my head. I seem to have found it off Amazon, it matches the exact aesthetic look of the laptop I have -
Code:
HP 15-f004wm Laptop Computer - 15.6" HD Brightview WLED Backlit Screen, Intel Celeron N2830 Processor 2.16GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, Super DVD Burner, Windows 8.1

Last edited:
Would I be better off buying another laptop (not HP and definitely NOT Acer)?
That depends on your budget and whether you want to invest in your current system or not. Parts might come cheap enough, but if you can't do the work yourself, paying someone else may not be worth it to you.

And honestly? A lot of brands are made by the same few electronics manufacturing companies (e.g. Foxconn, Pegatron, etc.), so do a little research before you rule any particular brand out. :)

The title explains it pretty all. Pretty sure I have dead pixels. It's an HP laptop. Is it even worth replacing the parts at this point? Would I be better off buying another laptop (not HP and definitely NOT Acer)?

Not a lot of details here, if this was a $1000+ new gaming laptop, then fixing may be better than replacing. Screens are often about $100, keyboards are in the $20 range, batteries for real OEM parts are 50-100. Assuming the system is worth the parts put into it. Again, no details about the computer so no way to tell which way you should go.

Mar 24, 2019
What model and how is the laptop? Replacing batteries and keyboards is usually not very costly, but replacing screens is a bit more expensive and labor intensive. If it's an older laptop though, don't bother.
That depends on your budget and whether you want to invest in your current system or not. Parts might come cheap enough, but if you can't do the work yourself, paying someone else may not be worth it to you.

And honestly? A lot of brands are made by the same few electronics manufacturing companies (e.g. Foxconn, Pegatron, etc.), so do a little research before you rule any particular brand out. :)
Not a lot of details here, if this was a $1000+ new gaming laptop, then fixing may be better than replacing. Screens are often about $100, keyboards are in the $20 range, batteries for real OEM parts are 50-100. Assuming the system is worth the parts put into it. Again, no details about the computer so no way to tell which way you should go.
Not enough empirical information for the doctor to give a good diagnostic.

Thank you all for replying so quickly. Didn't expect this many answers. The laptop itself is an old HP Laptop. Costed around 300-500 dollars, don't exactly remember the price off the top of my head. I seem to have found it off Amazon, it matches the exact aesthetic look of the laptop I have -
Code:
HP 15-f004wm Laptop Computer - 15.6" HD Brightview WLED Backlit Screen, Intel Celeron N2830 Processor 2.16GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, Super DVD Burner, Windows 8.1

Thanks again for responding.

Seems to be the same as this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Black...Free-Windows-10-Upgrade-July-29-2016/38192988

Keyboard: https://www.amazon.com/15-f001xx-15-f003dx-15-f004dx-15-f004wm-15-f027ca/dp/B00ULCIH9S

Battery: https://www.walmart.com/ip/CWK-Long...-F009CA-15-F009WM-15-F008CL-15-F009/828009703

or simply look for "15-f004wm battery" on amazon. They're around 20-25 bucks for a new battery.

Screen: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-15-F004...een-for-15-6-Slim-Laptop-LED-HD-/200804371530

All in all, the parts could cost you around 100 bucks. Replacing the screen isn't nearly as easy as the other two parts, though.

I'm fairly sure the keyboard and battery will fit, I'm not 100% sure about the screen though.