Black loading screen after Login

alpha_noj

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
So my girlfriends new DELL laptop has an issue that is really annoying. It doesn't prevent use of the computer, but really slows startup time. Basically, whenever you load the computer, Vista loads normally. When you finish logging in, it takes quite a while during the "Welcome" screen, followed by roughly one to two minutes of a black screen. Just before the desktop screen loads, a few lines run in a command prompt and then closes, allowing the desktop to load fine (sorry if this seems confusing, basically long black screen after login which is annoying).

I've tried to disable a few things I thought it might be under startup thru msconfig. Here's the systems specs in case they're needed:

Dell Inspiron 1545
Pentium Dual core T4200
3 gigs of RAM
32 bit Vista Home Basic

Boot into the BIOS and make sure there is no hard drive delay set. Also make sure quickboot is enabled (if available).

Run msconfig and make sure normal boot mode is enabled.

Do you have anything installed that would be running a batch file at startup?

alpha_noj

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I'll have to go over these and give them a shot tomorrow when I see her, as I don't have the laptop with me. As for the question, I'm not sure if there is. I've done very little with the PC, and she mainly uses it for papers and web surfing. While I'm annoyed that I can't remember what it was, there was some DELL update which I performed and I think it started after that--but I can't remember what exactly updated :heink:

PaulR08

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
It sounds like there is some software or applications that are hogging up a lot of the system memory. It could be a spyware or malware program that got on, run a good anti-virus scan in safe mode as soon as possible.

alpha_noj

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I'm performing a scan as I type, but I also had taks manager started on bootup. I couldn't find anything in the BIOS about an HDD delay, or quick boot. Here is what was under Processes in task manager (K = memory usage):

cmd.exe 60K
crss.exe 984K
dwm.exe 17,068K (??)
explorer.exe 3,000K
igfxserv(may not be the exact name 1,204K
runonce.exe 944K
STSservice 504K
taskeng.exe 3,380K
winlogin.exe 1,556K

This is what shows up as soon as the Desktop decides to boot, a few of these are absent directly after login. There is also a small box which shows up, I'll post what that says after I finish the scan and reboot the PC.

EDIT*: It seems it is DELL Data Safe which is slowing the startup. The scan came up cleen using Malaware Bytes, so I took a video of the startup and the small box which shows up. In here, the most prominent mention is Dell Data Safe. Does anyone know how to disable the program without completely uninstalling it? If not, I'll just get rid of it as I doubt she'll use it anyway.