Question Black Mesa Windows 10 vs. Linux.

stchman

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Hello all. Went to a LAN party last weekend and we ended up playing Black Mesa. It was a blast.

Any rate, I noticed that on my Linux Mint 20 that Black Mesa had Half Life 2 style menus while the other guys on Windows 10 Black Mesa has box style menus.

After reading people were saying that Black Mesa on Windows 10 is a much better playing game with better graphics, smoother game play, etc. I decided to load up Black Mesa on my Windows 10 partition(same machine) and played the game for a little bit. Besides the menus, I noticed zero difference in the game play. The graphics looked identical, smoothness, etc.

Anyone else have any thoughts.

stchman

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
I personally think windows is more stable than mint but up to you, if you notice no difference, then stick with mint.

Really? My experience is the exact opposite. I find Windows 10 to be a huge resource hog, overbloated, slow on older hardware, unstable, etc.

If one has a machine with a really fast SSD, LOTS of RAM, and a fast processor, Windows 10 is OK, but Mint/Ubuntu is far superior IMO.

Windows 10 is really only good for two things:
Gaming
If you need a Windows only application

I don't want this thread to get off on tangents, I was just curious if anyone had seen a performance/visuals difference in Black Mesa from Windows 10 and Linux besides the menus.