Black monitor screen on hard boot restart

dkeiner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Every time I am forced to do a hard shutdown of my desktop computer, on a restart I am receiving messages that I overclocked and to press F1. When I reset the bios to default, save and restart, the computer gets through the Windows Ultimate 7 startup logo, but the password page does not start--black screen. This happens over and over??

Solution
use the usb flashback run it twice to make sure the bios chip is fine. if the bios errors out make sure the cmos battery in right and try a new one. if still errors out see if your cmos chip is removable and replaceable.
check to see if your mb bios is up to date. on your ram is it stock ram for the mb or is it faster ram. the issue is some ram will need xmp profile on to have the mb set the ram speed right and or voltage on the ram changed if all 4 slots have ram in them. if we can have some info of your mb and ram we may be able to help more.

dkeiner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for your response. My motherboard is ASUS P9X79-EWS with stock ram for the motherboard. The bios is up to date. Last night I tried several bios defaults with some changes and then I pulled the graphics card and reset it. This morning I tried a restart, it still wanted a reset to the bios, but this time it worked--was able to enter my password and the computer is working fine. Not exactly sure what solved it, but maybe pulling the graphics card and resetting it was the answer!!?? Thanks for your help.

dkeiner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

dkeiner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thank you "smorizio". Long story short, I checked the cmos battery and made sure it was in right. Then I installed a new battery--the computer now appears to be working correctly.
Thanks again for your suggestion.
dkeiner