Question Black Ops 3 shows 100% CPU usage with only 45% GPU usage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2021
I've been trying to play Black Ops 3 but I'm getting horrible fps drops where my fps will drop from 144 to 80 and stay like that for a few seconds before jumping back up. When this happens I get 100% CPU usage. While I was monitoring my hardware I noticed my GPU usage is pretty low, between 25 and 45%. I have an 8700k running at 4.8ghz on all cores with a 3060ti so I don't think my CPU should be bottlenecking my GPU. The app is set in high performance mode in Nvidia control panel and I've tried removing my CPU overclock but that didn't help. It's not a ram issue either, I have 16gb of DDR4 @3000mhz, the game doesn't use more than 7gb at a time. Does anyone have any ideas?

I've been trying to play Black Ops 3 but I'm getting horrible fps drops where my fps will drop from 144 to 80 and stay like that for a few seconds before jumping back up. When this happens I get 100% CPU usage. While I was monitoring my hardware I noticed my GPU usage is pretty low, between 25 and 45%. I have an 8700k running at 4.8ghz on all cores with a 3060ti so I don't think my CPU should be bottlenecking my GPU. The app is set in high performance mode in Nvidia control panel and I've tried removing my CPU overclock but that didn't help. It's not a ram issue either, I have 16gb of DDR4 @3000mhz, the game doesn't use more than 7gb at a time. Does anyone have any ideas?
What else do you have running?

Turn your in game graphic settings up.

If you're only using 25-40% of a 3060ti your screen resolution is too low or your graphics options are too low or a combination of the two.

Also if you're not using an SSD for your game drive that can cause frame drops as an old school HHD can struggle to keep up.

Additionally if you've made any changes to the Windows page file size put it back on managed by Windows as custom page file sizes can also cause issues with BO3.

Jul 24, 2021
And what mode is this in, campaign, zombies solo/MP or MP? Do you have Vsync or and have you tried manually limiting your frame rate?
This is in zombies, I've tried with and without v sync. I've read that the game can drop frames when approaching interactive objects for the first time but I struggle to believe that everytime you approach something you should be dropping 60 frames. I've tried with and without vsync.

If you're only using 25-40% of a 3060ti your screen resolution is too low or your graphics options are too low or a combination of the two.

Also if you're not using an SSD for your game drive that can cause frame drops as an old school HHD can struggle to keep up.

Additionally if you've made any changes to the Windows page file size put it back on managed by Windows as custom page file sizes can also cause issues with BO3.
When I'm home ill try increasing the resolution but I did up the render resolution by 20 percent and it didn't help much. I also did add a custom page file size attempting to solve it, I'll remove that too. The game is running off an SSD right now.

This is in zombies, I've tried with and without v sync. I've read that the game can drop frames when approaching interactive objects for the first time but I struggle to believe that everytime you approach something you should be dropping 60 frames. I've tried with and without vsync.

When I'm home ill try increasing the resolution but I did up the render resolution by 20 percent and it didn't help much. I also did add a custom page file size attempting to solve it, I'll remove that too. The game is running off an SSD right now.
I normally set my max FPS at the monitors refresh rate and haven’t had issues. I did have issues similar to this last year but can’t temper how I solved it

Jul 24, 2021

I tried the game from 1080p to 4k max settings and still 100% cpu usage and drops in performance.
Completely disabled, but I have a free sync monitor that works with gsync
Unfortunately even completely disabled didnt fix my issue.

I tried the game from 1080p to 4k max settings and still 100% cpu usage and drops in performance.

Unfortunately even completely disabled didnt fix my issue.
Can you post your settings and I’ll see what mine does. Could just be the game or maybe a windows update or anything. It’s not like 4.8 is pushing it for an 8700K either.

EDIT: I’ve just went on the giant, played ten rounds on high/extra and couldn’t get it to drop below 110 even with rounding up all the zombies and gibbing them all with the ray gun.

R5 3600X
GTX 980
16GB 3200Mhz
SSD

Nvidia Driver: 471.11 (updating now lol)
Windows Build: 19043.1110

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2021
Can you post your settings and I’ll see what mine does. Could just be the game or maybe a windows update or anything. It’s not like 4.8 is pushing it for an 8700K either.

EDIT: I’ve just went on the giant, played ten rounds on high/extra and couldn’t get it to drop below 110 even with rounding up all the zombies and gibbing them all with the ray gun.

R5 3600X
GTX 980
16GB 3200Mhz
SSD

Nvidia Driver: 471.11 (updating now lol)
Windows Build: 19043.1110
I don't understand haha, ive reinstalled the game, reinstalled windows, updated drivers, tried old versions of drivers. Perhaps its a hardware issue, but no other game has a problem. Even the new zombies on Cold War runs amazing for me, not dropping below 120 on max settings.

Jul 24, 2021
I know from experience that BO3 is a performance mess. I also know from testing that 16GB of RAM could be a limiting factor at higher resolutions; CoD games do tend to be memory hogs; that could easily explain what you are seeing (paging).
The game only uses 6gb of my ram so I dont think thats my problem, Im gonna try a fresh windows install but I dont have high hopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS