AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor cooled by:

MSI MAG CORE LIQUID 240R 78.73 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard

Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL17 Memory

Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case

Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

When I first built the PC I had issues with Kernel power 41. I Solved this by downgrading the Bios from 1.5 to 1.4 and I had no further issues (so I thought)

I now seem to be getting "black" screens of death. - multiple games. randomly (can be 2hours or 2 weeks apart) my sound cuts out, and the screens go partially black - you can still see small outlines of parts of the game, its not fully black, this is non recoverable. my only option is to hard restart the PC. - I have photos of this: please see link here: Image (hope this is an appropriate upload way)

this has happened on both Subnautica Below Zero and Warzone.

I'm only running at 1080p 144hz - so not exactly punishing for this CPU/GPU Combo (what and why this resolution is another story all together - its temporary)

I've run various different stress tests to try recreate this. Including:

Valley benchmark for 1hour

Aida64 for 1hour

prime95 1hour

OCCT on CPU, VRAM, 3D and Power Supply - 30mins each.

I never get any issues with any of these tests, except the CPU almost reaching 90 degrees

Nvidia want to me run the games on "debug" mode to see if the problem persists to identify if this is a "clock rate" issue

I don't believe anything is overheating. my GPU never gets over 72, and the CPU, rarely over 70 during gaming.

does anyone have any suggestions about identifying what the cause of this issue is?

Next steps are running debug mode as per nvidia advice
Swap out 3080 into my brothers pc and see if he had the issues. And run mine on his 1080 to see if I get it.
Then start replacing other parts. Ram first. Then cpu. (Luckily my bro has pretty much the same pc)

I built my new PC in March 21, the specs are as follows:

When I first built the PC I had issues with Kernel power 41. I Solved this by downgrading the Bios from 1.5 to 1.4 and I had no further issues (so I thought)

I now seem to be getting "black" screens of death. - multiple games. randomly (can be 2hours or 2 weeks apart) my sound cuts out, and the screens go partially black - you can still see small outlines of parts of the game, its not fully black, this is non recoverable. my only option is to hard restart the PC. - I have photos of this: please see link here: Image (hope this is an appropriate upload way)

I'm only running at 1080p 144hz - so not exactly punishing for this CPU/GPU Combo (what and why this resolution is another story all together - its temporary)

Aida64 for 1hour

prime95 1hour

I never get any issues with any of these tests, except the CPU almost reaching 90 degrees

Nvidia want to me run the games on "debug" mode to see if the problem persists to identify if this is a "clock rate" issue

I don't believe anything is overheating. my GPU never gets over 72, and the CPU, rarely over 70 during gaming.

does anyone have any suggestions about identifying what the cause of this issue is?

Swap out 3080 into my brothers pc and see if he had the issues. And run mine on his 1080 to see if I get it.
Then start replacing other parts. Ram first. Then cpu. (Luckily my bro has pretty much the same pc)
You shouldn't be hitting those temps with that cooler. Make sure the pump is properly attached to CPU and is set to 100% DC in BIOS.

Apr 19, 2021
You shouldn't be hitting those temps with that cooler. Make sure the pump is properly attached to CPU and is set to 100% DC in BIOS.
I've already repasted and resat the cooler. As far as I can tell its placed accurately. There is no wiggle. Its flat and snug etc. Maybe too tight? I tightened till couldn't screw anymore but didnt push past any resistance.
I've got the aio mounted on the case top as a exit rather than front mounted in take. Done lots of reading and came to the conclusion my temps are pretty normal for a 5800x. It jumps around pretty eractically though.

Either way sub 70 degrees when gaming wouldn't cause this issue would it. High temps are only during aida64 prolonged tests

Also what is 100% DC? Everything is set to default.

Apr 19, 2021
My Pump is set to 100% DC - looks like its getting 3500+RPM, think that's lower than the advertised 4200, but I cant seem to get it to go any faster.

I've been on 6hours of gaming now (well PC running games without me here mostly) and CPU temp/GPU temps are as follows
Link to OCCT recorded temps

Apr 19, 2021
Interestingly I've updated to thr latest bios and run aida64 ans temperature hasnt gone above 70degrees C now

Let's see if that fixed these issues

Jun 22, 2021
I built my new PC in March 21, the specs are as follows:

Aida64 for 1hour

prime95 1hour

i think this is a 100% Nvidia problem they are ignoring...people are doing all kinds of crap to fix this , costing time and money....I was plagued by it for months. The fix for me? Well...it seemed to me , the black screen was akin to suspense mode...almost as if something was trying to put monitor to sleep, while the game or whatever played on....I fixed it for me...here is what I did...I opened Device Manager...opened Universal Serial Bus Controllers and right clicked on every single listed HUB, went to Properties, selected Power Management tab, and changed the power management (tab) from "allow the computer to turn off this device"...I deselected that option for EVERY..SINGLE..HUB...reboot.....Hasnt crashed to Black Screen since....after a full year of random black screens....it may not work for you.....But i am now a happy gamer

mozga628

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
90 degrees centigrade!?!?! holy fried eggs batman!!!
even at 70c, i imagine the computer must be doing some throttling...
i would do something to cool down that rig and run your games again, cover the basics again, like the direction fans are blowing, etc.
open up the case and point a house fan in it if there is no better solution...
run your games and see if the lower temps make a difference. I think you found a possible culprit, you just need to explore further to rule it out (or verify it is).