Black screen after a MSI bios update

Cleowill

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
Hello, everyone. I know this is a recurring problem, I've read multiple threads on the subject but nothing seems to help.

I've recently started my first build, with these components:
- MSI B150 Gaming M3
- Intel Core i3-6100
- SSD SP550 120Gb
- Hyper 212 EVO
- HyperX DDR4 (2133) 2x4 Gb
- Seasonic S12II 520W

And a GTX 960 that I have not yet put into the case.

Everything was fine, I could access the bios but somehow could not install Windows 7 from a CD. I had read somewhere that perhaps I should update the bios, so I did. (from version B6 to B9, downloaded from the MSI website).

After reaching 100%, the computer turned off, then turned back on but the screen was black. Everything else was working (motherboard is up, fans are turning, mouse and keyboard are lit). I had wait around 30 minutes before turning it off and on again, but same result.

I've tried a CMOS reset twice (with the jumpers and the battery), I unplugged the DVD and SSD, I tried with the USB flash drive plugged and unplugged, but nothing changed. Note that sometimes, the pc would turn on for a second before turning off and turning back on again.

Does anyone have any suggestion? Thank you in advance.

Cleowill

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
I have tried this, but it didn't work.
This may be a silly question, but when doing this, should I use the new BIOS (version B9) or the one I had before (version B6)?

Cleowill

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
Well, I feel silly. (Yet relieved)
At some point while I was trying different things, I had clicked on the screen's power button, just in case that might have been the issue. It wasn't. But I didn't click on it again until hours later - and then it worked. (And the version is updated to B9)
So I assumed that something that I've tried in-between actually did work but I just couldn't see that it did.
Thanks a lot for your help, your solution may have just been what worked! :)