[SOLVED] Black screen after a Windows update. Cannot access bios or boot off of a bootable drive.

truedoughnut

Prominent
Sep 11, 2020
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.
My specs are:
CPU: i7-8700k
Motherboard: ROG Maximus X Hero Wi-Fi AC
RAM: 2x8 GB DDR4 Vengeance 3200mhz
HDD/SSD: 970 EVO plus nvme M.2 1TB
GPU: EVGA Nvidia 1080Ti
PSU: EVGA 850W 80 Gold

I installed a Windows update and after it completed, there was response from the computer. The Q-code on the motherboard was A0, which should mean everything is fine but there was no display.
I tried reseating everything (CPU, RAM, GPU, hard drives, M.2 drive). I also unplugged all of my hard drives. Since that didn't solve it, I then tried connecting my computer to a known working display with only the CPU attached and the M.2 drive to boot off of. Again, no display. After removing the M.2 drive and putting in a bootable USB drive, there is still no display but the Q-code changed to A9. This should mean the computer is booting into the bios but the display shows nothing. Not even integrated graphics are working.
What should I do to solve this?

Last edited:
Solution
My specs are:

I installed a Windows update and after it completed, there was response from the computer. The Q-code on the motherboard was A0, which should mean everything is fine but there was no display.
I tried reseating everything (CPU, RAM, GPU, hard drives, M.2 drive). I also unplugged all of my hard drives. Since that didn't solve it, I then tried connecting my computer to a known working display with only the CPU attached and the M.2 drive to boot off of. Again, no display. After removing the M.2 drive and putting...
My specs are:

I tried reseating everything (CPU, RAM, GPU, hard drives, M.2 drive). I also unplugged all of my hard drives. Since that didn't solve it, I then tried connecting my computer to a known working display with only the CPU attached and the M.2 drive to boot off of. Again, no display. After removing the M.2 drive and putting in a bootable USB drive, there is still no display but the Q-code changed to A9. This should mean the computer is booting into the bios but the display shows nothing. Not even integrated graphics are working.
What should I do to solve this?
Unplug everything from mobo. Minus ram,cpu,and psu. Before trying to boot at this point, make sure psu is off, remove the bios battery from mobo "watch type battery", well psu is still off hold power button on computer tower for 30s x2 times, replace battery in mobo, turn psu on and try to boot to bios.

Solution

truedoughnut

Prominent
Sep 11, 2020
Unplug everything from mobo. Minus ram,cpu,and psu. Before trying to boot at this point, make sure psu is off, remove the bios battery from mobo "watch type battery", well psu is still off hold power button on computer tower for 30s x2 times, replace battery in mobo, turn psu on and try to boot to bios.
Thanks for replying. I did this and it worked.
Thank you for the help

Reactions: white.a.drew

TRENDING THREADS