Question Black screen after accidental water spillage on PC case ?

Mar 3, 2021
I have a XFX Rx 580 8gb edition and it’s a prebuilt pc from cyberpower and it was working fine with a few blue screens here and there but everything was fine until last week I accidentally spilled maybe 10-20 drops of water onto my case and it dropped down onto my gpu while my computer was running so first thing I did was turn it off and kill the power and then dry the gpu as thoroughly as possible and then I tried to turn it back on to see if it was working at first it was a black screen so I turned it back off unplugged the gpu looked for anymore water that I could see and then plugged it back in and the screen turned on so I turned it back off and let it sit overnight.

The next morning I turned it on and then restarted it just to make sure it was working and it was so I turned it off and let it dry for 2 days and then on Monday it was working fine all day no errors so I got off and then later that night when I got back on after about 3 hours of being on it just black screened so I turned it off for the night and got on the next morning and it’s fine from anywhere between 5minutes to 1hour and then it black screens and everytime I fix the problem by flicking the off switch in the back and letting it sit for about 10-30 minutes.

Does anybody know if it’s the psu or gpu or anything because I think it’s the psu because the water did hit the pcie that connects into the graphics card but I’m not positive and don’t want to wait a week or longer for cyberpower to fix it.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that the power shutoff's (however necessary) caused some file corruption.

Windows requires a "graceful" shutdown in order to do some housekeeping, complete updates, etc. to get prepared for the next boot up.

Using the PSU's power switch does not allow/support a graceful shutdown. Power outages can have the same effects....

At the next successful boot, try running "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) via the Command prompt.

"dism" may also prove helpful.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

If necessary boot into Safe Mode in order to execute the commands.

And look in Reliability History. Reliability History may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or informational events related to the black screens.

Reactions: helper800
Mar 3, 2021
My thought is that the power shutoff's (however necessary) caused some file corruption.

Windows requires a "graceful" shutdown in order to do some housekeeping, complete updates, etc. to get prepared for the next boot up.

Using the PSU's power switch does not allow/support a graceful shutdown. Power outages can have the same effects....

At the next successful boot, try running "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) via the Command prompt.

"dism" may also prove helpful.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

If necessary boot into Safe Mode in order to execute the commands.

And look in Reliability History. Reliability History may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or informational events related to the black screens.
It says windows protection program found corrupt files and successfully repaired them I will let you know how this works out. If I black screen again.

Mar 5, 2021
I have a XFX Rx 580 8gb edition and it’s a prebuilt pc from cyberpower and it was working fine with a few blue screens here and there but everything was fine until last week I accidentally spilled maybe 10-20 drops of water onto my case and it dropped down onto my gpu while my computer was running so first thing I did was turn it off and kill the power and then dry the gpu as thoroughly as possible and then I tried to turn it back on to see if it was working at first it was a black screen so I turned it back off unplugged the gpu looked for anymore water that I could see and then plugged it back in and the screen turned on so I turned it back off and let it sit overnight.

The next morning I turned it on and then restarted it just to make sure it was working and it was so I turned it off and let it dry for 2 days and then on Monday it was working fine all day no errors so I got off and then later that night when I got back on after about 3 hours of being on it just black screened so I turned it off for the night and got on the next morning and it’s fine from anywhere between 5minutes to 1hour and then it black screens and everytime I fix the problem by flicking the off switch in the back and letting it sit for about 10-30 minutes.

Does anybody know if it’s the psu or gpu or anything because I think it’s the psu because the water did hit the pcie that connects into the graphics card but I’m not positive and don’t want to wait a week or longer for cyberpower to fix it.

Turn the laptop upside down, put it over a towel or something absorbent, and let the water drain out of it. Even though it seems dry, these parts do absorb a lot of water, so that just gives it time to dissipate any liquid.” The longer you can let it sit, the better.An expert will be able to evaluate the damage to your system and help you save or backup your data if it's still accessible. While water damage can ruin a computer completely, many can recover after an accident like this.
MyPascoConnect

Last edited:
Turn the laptop upside down, put it over a towel or something absorbent, and let the water drain out of it. Even though it seems dry, these parts do absorb a lot of water, so that just gives it time to dissipate any liquid.” The longer you can let it sit, the better.An expert will be able to evaluate the damage to your system and help you save or backup your data if it's still accessible. While water damage can ruin a computer completely, many can recover after an accident like this.
OP has a PC, not a laptop. Otherwise, sound advice.

Mar 3, 2021
I have a pc

Apr 2, 2022
If you can, are good with gadgets, get a USB enclosure, take out hard disk in your laptop (see manuals) and assemble a portable drive. Now you can attach it to any computer and use the documents in the hard disk. Later on you can get it checked by technician/service center for the error of display.

MyPascoConnect