Black Screen after Acer logo

Briggsy19

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015
I have a Acer Aspire E1-522, with standard hardware and as of lately it has started coming up with a black screen after I start it up. Basically, I start it up and it comes up with the Acer like usual but it takes a bit longer and then it comes up with a black screen. Sometimes it will come up with a blue screen saying it will restart and as it does it comes back to the Black screen. With the black screen I have to hold down the power button to turn it off and nothing else effects the computer. I can press F2 as it starts up and get to the BIOS but other than that, nothing else really works. I also have things like CVs and such on this computer and I really need them, the data on the computer is a high priority for me. It has no warranty either. So I am wanting to fix this myself.

Here's a few things you can try:

- Remove the hard-disk and use an enclosure to copy important files to another computer
- Try using safe mode (you'll have to enable the boot menu according to your computer's manual)
- Run memory diagnostics from the boot menu
- After backup, try reinstalling Windows

If safe mode and reinstall don't work, it's likely some sort of hardware failure, likely GPU or memory. If the memory diagnostics don't return anything, it's probably GPU related (and replacement is the only real option).

Luckily that type uses a standard HDD, so removing the drive to access from another computer is easy enough.

Briggsy19

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015

Currently I have no other computer I can copy the data to and the screws are too tight to take off the compartment to get to the HDD. Don't know how to get into safemode or run a memory diagnostics for this certain computer, considering I also don't have the computer's manual and don't have a backup/another copy of Windows. I would have removed the hard drive first off if I could get to it. (*Edit* It's also Windows 8.1 Pro)

You can find the manual at the manufacturer's support page.

If you have an external disk, you can try using a USB stick with a linux livedisk image to help copy the files.