Black Screen After BIOS Splash Screen

stellarstaer

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
Specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LK2ZMp

Recent activity: Upgraded GPU to a 970 six months ago. After installation, BIOS splash screen would hang for 1-2 minutes before booting into Windows. Not a big deal.

Installed SSD last night. Successfully migrated OS from old HDD to new SSD. Reformatted old HDD as backup drive. Upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10. No problem. Few restarts later everything was fine.

Decided while my tower was open, why not reset motherboard BIOS to try and fix splash screen hang. Unplugged power. Touched screwdriver to prongs. Restarted PC. Splash screen hangs for 1-2 minutes then screen goes black. Sometimes it has flashing white line at top left. Sometimes it doesn't.

Can't boot Windows. Can't get into BIOS settings (key inputs seem unresponsive though keyboard lights are on).

What I've tried to do: Remove motherboard battery. Reseatted RAM. Unplug both hard drives and boot. Plugged monitor directly to onboard graphics.

Little to no change. Suggestions friends?

Solution
Resetting the BIOS/CMOS will put things to default, trying using the mobo outputs to the monitor, then go into BIOS and change the Primary graphics display to PEG/PCI-E. Shutdown and swap the video cable back to the 970

stellarstaer

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015

This fixed the problem, at least in part. I did the following:

1) Turned off and unplugged computer.
2) Took out GPU.
3) Reset BIOS/CMOS.
4) Plugged monitor into motherboard output.
5) Started computer. Got into BIOS settings and changed primary graphics display to PEG.
6) Upgraded BIOS (never had before).
7) After a series of resets, reconnected the GPU and monitor.

Everything works again. Thank you for your help.

thebigdolphin1

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016

Thanks for the follow-up, I was stuck in the exact same position as you.
Did you ever manage to fix the lengthy splash screen issue? It's really bugging me, and I occasionally need to quickly turn my computer on to check a website.