Question Black screen after BIOS update ?

Mar 10, 2023
Hey Everyone!

Just got myself a Ryzen 5600X along my new gpu. Once the cpu was installed, I've dound myself presented with a black screen, no signal. Surely after some searching I've realized that the BIOS not being updated to handle the new cpu must be the issue, so downloading the update began.

I'm not really sure which version I got, tried looking for it in the BIOS after putting back my old cpu but didn't find anything, I must be blind tbh. Started doenloading the latest, but then noticed that it won't install unless I have the previous required, so I've started getting to the very bottom and start with 3.40 to get done with all of them.

(I have a pc from 2016, so thought it couldn't be running anything newer then something from 2017)

It installed just fine, pc rebooted, but now I'm here with this ominous black sreen once again. Tried all the CMOS resetting techniques I could find, but nothing seems to help the case. Also blowing with compressed air every now and then to make sure nothing's dusty.

Really sorry for making this so long, thanks for reading through it! c:

At this point I'm totally clueless what to do, afraid I could messed up the motherboard somehow. Thinking about getting a new battery to see if that might've caused this.

Should I get it to a technician at this point?

My mobo is an Asrock A320M-HDV

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

What processor did you have prior to the Ryzen 5 5600x?

For the sake of relevance, which one among these two do you have;
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/A320M-HDV/index.asp#BIOS
or
https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/a320m-hdv r4.0/index.asp#BIOS
people tend to make an err with the motherboard models but I see they both have the same BIOS versions listed, with one minor difference, P7.3 as opposed to P7.4.

Mar 10, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

What processor did you have prior to the Ryzen 5 5600x?

For the sake of relevance, which one among these two do you have;
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/A320M-HDV/index.asp#BIOS
or
https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/a320m-hdv r4.0/index.asp#BIOS
people tend to make an err with the motherboard models but I see they both have the same BIOS versions listed, with one minor difference, P7.3 as opposed to P7.4.

Thanks for pointing this out! Please find the specs below:

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 (old) / Ryzen 5 5600X (new)
CPU cooler: stock AMD one that came with the cpus
Motherboard: Asrock A320M-HDV
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz DDR4 2x8
SSD/HDD: Samsung 980 nvme 512GB / 1TB HDD
GPU: ASUS Nvidia GTX 1050Ti (old, wasn't removed yet) / Palit Nvidia RTX 3070 (new)
PSU: 600W Cougar CGR BS-600
Monitor: Idk to be honest, 144hz LG

The exact board I have: https://motherboarddb.com/motherboards/2/A320M-HDV/

Lutfij

Titan
Palit Nvidia RTX 3070 (new)
Might want to rethink using that PSU with the above GPU. That unit will not output the same amount of power it did when it was brand new, after nearly 6 years.

Tried all the CMOS resetting techniques I could find, but nothing seems to help the case.
Might want to walk us through how you did clear your CMOS.

For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you on?

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Also, the PSU is a low-quality, cheaply made, group-regulated unit that has zero business being used an RTX 3070.

That nothing has died doesn't mean there are no issues. You can't observe effects of poor voltage regulation or ripple mitigation until long after the damage has been done.

Mar 10, 2023
Sorry for the late response here, trying to figure this out while working at the same time 😅

Good thinking, thanks guys. Will I be fine with another 600W module? (Specifically thinking about CM Elite V3 600W)

I wasn't sure of the initial BIOS version, the 3.40 was installed before this whole thing happened.

As for the CMOS clearing method:

- removed every cable from the PC, switched off the PSU

- held the power button for a minute / pressed it a few times after that just to make sure it's fine

- removed the CMOS battery for around 30 minutes (i know it's an overkill but im desperate)

- tried plugging my DVI-D into my mb instead of the GPU

- repeated all this several times

- also tried putting back the USB with the BIOS updater on it, but nothing seems to be happening that way either

As I couldn't find the jumpers on my board, I didn't try that method.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Good thinking, thanks guys. Will I be fine with another 600W module? (Specifically thinking about CM Elite V3 600W)

Absolutely not. That's another very cheaply made, group-regulated PSU. If you actually want to protect your RTX 3070 long-term and ensure proper functioning, you need a legitimately good PSU. Like, an order of magnitude better in quality.

Appropriate things like Corsair RMx or SeaSonic Prime or Super Flower Leadex III Gold, and so on. You're using a relatively high-end GPU now; just like when you upgrade from a 1989 Yugo to a new sports car, the insurance and upkeep becomes much more expensive.

Mar 10, 2023
Absolutely not. That's another very cheaply made, group-regulated PSU. If you actually want to protect your RTX 3070 long-term and ensure proper functioning, you need a legitimately good PSU. Like, an order of magnitude better in quality.

Appropriate things like Corsair RMx or SeaSonic Prime or Super Flower Leadex III Gold, and so on. You're using a relatively high-end GPU now; just like when you upgrade from a 1989 Yugo to a new sports car, the insurance and upkeep becomes much more expensive.

Got you, seems like no cutting corners here.
Probably for the better. Higher quality PSU it is!

Watt-wise where should I draw the line?
Will a 600W one even be enough to run everything smoothly, or should I go for a more powerful one? (no plans to upgrade my rig any further for the next 10 years at least)

Mar 10, 2023
Watt-wise where should I draw the line?
Will a 600W one even be enough to run everything smoothly, or should I go for a more powerful one? (no plans to upgrade my rig any further for the next 10 years at least)
Okay, so I've looked into it a bit, will go ahead with a 750W module (at least).

Selected a few options, would you mind sharing a suggestion on which one to get?

1. Seasonic G12 GC-750W Gold (prefered choice budget-wise, if it's okay then that's probably my go to)
  2. Corsair RM750x (should be great as you've said, almost 2x the price of the later though)
  3. Gigabyte P850GM 850W (seems to be pretty good value for money)

TRENDING THREADS