Black screen after boot, Windows 10

Daredevil1701

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017
I have this problem, weird thing is it happened to both my old GPU (R9 270x) and my new one(R9 280x), is this a motherboard problem? or maybe drivers?

Solution

A Geforce 8600 GT with different pcie power, so he used an adapter. The rx480 didnt work in my pc, and my 280 didnt work in the pc the rx480 came from.

UPDATE: I updated my mobo bois and my card is working and drivers are installed. But my headphones and microphone are not detected in playback devices, also if I right click on my desktop I can't see the AMD settings but CPU-Z detects it and its in device manager.

UPDATE: 7/08/2017 secured my card at the other end and made sure it sits firmly, now not having any problems, been playing PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS all day at 100fps. Thanks for the help Vic 40, cant...

Daredevil1701

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017

Specs:
intel i5 4590 3.3Ghz
Radeon R9 280x 3gb
corsair vs650w psu
1x 8gb crucial 1600mhz ram
ASrock z97M anniversary
1x toshiba 500gb hdd - windows installed
1x wd blue 1tb hdd

Display: Acer v233HL

can get into bios and to desktop if i go safe mode and uninstall GPU drivers but when i reinstall it goes black again, tried other cable, didn't work

Daredevil1701

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017

Thanks, working so far, haven't tried games, will reply back if everything works and is stable

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
There's an imo point of diminishing returns when looking at older gpu's,imo do they look more at performance of newer gpu's in later driver updates. Although i see that in some driver updates they specifically pinpoint certain games performance,but still first test and if not working well with a certain game can you always check if they targeted that game in newer driver revisions.

Daredevil1701

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017

I had these glitchy lines flickering on my screen for a while in CS:GO until it just went to a screen of vertical lines and a audio loop of the sound that was playing in game, i then pressed the restart button and it went back to the black screen problem and now when i try use DDU in safe mode to clean and reinstall the older version driver it goes black while installing again, sadly i think my gpu is on its way out, i did notice sudden flickering if i moved my chair, causing the gpu to move because i have no screw holding it to the case, but when i put something in the screw hole to try support it, it still doesn't work. So if im getting the lines when my gpu moves could it potentially be my Motherboard?

Daredevil1701

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017

I found a screw that works but still same problem, haven't tried on its side, ill try and reply back.

Daredevil1701

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017

no-one else to try GPU, I had a problem today where my PC wouldn't post. I don't have a speaker installed but the CPU and case fans were spinning. I had no display and no lights on my keyboard which i usually have when booting. I unplugged and re plugged everything but no success. Put i put my old corsair vs450w psu in and its working now. Though still black screen with GPU in, no chance of the 450 running it as it couldn't even support my old 270x (the reason i bought the new 650w). I can run on on board graphics though. When i got to my desktop i got a message saying a file has been created blah blah blah something about paging file error or something. honestly don't know what to do anymore. gonna have to save up for a while and get a whole new PC instead of having to worry about this piece of s***.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Since working again with the old psu is it possible that ,looking at the quality psu's you buy (the VS series isn't very good) ,that this is all a psu problem.

Look at the page file and see if it is the windows recommended size.Look at system"->"advanced settings"->"advanced" (again)->"performance"->"advanced" (yes again)->"virtual memory".Look at that "size conrtolled by system" is checked.

Daredevil1701

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017

This?, http://imgur.com/a/cMQVp http://imgur.com/a/9duio

Daredevil1701

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017

ok, set it to system managed. do you think its my gpu, mobo or psu thats the problem?, i've got no idea.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Hard to say. If the gpu has been lose in the slot and has begun sagging could it maybe be the pcie slot that stops working well.
But if i had to choose something would i look at that psu first. The VS series of Corsair isn't very good especially when looking at the powerdraw of a gpu like that R9 280X.

Daredevil1701

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017

So i got it to work, i just uninstalled old drivers with DDU and reinstalled them onto my second HDD (one without windows), must've been some drivers conflicting or something, also got my 650w back in and is working fine. must've been something else i mixed up which caused it to not boot. thanks for the help Vic 40, much appreciated.

Daredevil1701

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017

um yea it broke again lol, just playing PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS and i get these horizontal lines flickering on the top half of my screen it eventually went to a grey screen with lines and had a sound loop of what i was hearing in game. I then restarted it and yep black screen again :(

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Only things i can say now is test with a different gpu and psu (Not at the same time) and see which is the culprit. Probably a hardware problem.Looks to be the gpu seeing how you describe it. Weird thing though,as you said,that it is happening with two gpu's,but it can happen.Both gpu's were newly bought?

Daredevil1701

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017

Nah the 270x i got from a friend when i first built my system, but he bought it new and only had it for 4-5 months, i used it from Feb 2015 to May 2017 with no problems. I just turned my PC on one morning to find a black screen, the 280x was used on eBay though, but it said fully working order only some dust. it did have some glitchy lines an the screen while playing PUBG and it crashed the game, i shut down my PC and re seated the GPU and then black screen, but now i can get to my desktop in safe mode and using DDU to uninstal and restart which goes fine using microsoft basic display adaptor but when i try to reinstall the drivers it goes black. i also tried the old 270x using DDU, but it didnt even get to the desktop.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
No acces to friends pc for some testing of the gpu's?

Since both don't work well i assumed the first gpu just bit the dust,but since one is working on windows drivers with which there will be not alot of power draw could it still be the psu as well.
The lines on the desktop suggested gpu,but i still think that the psu isn't out of the picture too.

Daredevil1701

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017

I sent both cards to a friends house and they both worked fine for him, so i know its either the mobo or psu, would my best bet be to buy a mobo and hope that fixes it?, or could i like test the psu with a multi-meter to see if the pcie power connectors are failing?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
My first guess would be the psu. You can test the psu,but for good readings should that be done under load.
A link for a how to test a psu,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

Other thing you can do is make a log,if the sensors (or just the board) is supported could this maybe give some info,

How to make a log,

download hwinfo32,
install and open it,
check "sensors-only",
click "run",
at the bottom of the window click "logging start",
choose a name and place for the log like "hwinfolog" at the "desktop",
this log can be viewed/opened with either excel from Microsoft or libre office calc.
you can upload it onto a site which facilitates this like SaberCatHost or DropBox,these i like since not so much (or any) spam comes with these.
Just make one until this happens like you described.