Question Black screen after booting up

Apr 12, 2019
Hello,

When I boot up my pc with windows 10, i get a black screen. I can access my bios and all that (so my display works), but as soon as I enter windows I get a black screen. I don't have a cursor either. My display displays a black screen, the display isn't shut down or something. Is there some way I can boot it up in a different way? I really need my pc so all help would be appreciated asap! Thanks

Sincerely

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
Is there any beeping coming from the motherboard? If so, you should search them up on Google. Since you can access your bios though, you can probably access the boot menu so you could borrow a Windows installation media usb and boot Windows from that which you can reinstall Windows on. There is an option to keep your files so you don't have to worry about losing them :)

Apr 12, 2019
Thanks for the answer. There isn't coming any sound from my motherboard. It's the MSI B150M BAZOOKA. When I try to boot it up, a red LED (=Debug LED) lights up on my motherboard though. I haven't removed dust from my pc for 3 years, but I don't think that could be a problem.

Sincerely

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
Thanks for the answer. There isn't coming any sound from my motherboard. It's the MSI B150M BAZOOKA. When I try to boot it up, a red LED (=Debug LED) lights up on my motherboard though. I haven't removed dust from my pc for 3 years, but I don't think that could be a problem.

Sincerely
Did the Red LED come up before when the computer was working? And the problem that your experiencing is probably some corrupt Windows files (I had the same issue with a faulty hard drive) and you might have to reinstall Windows again like I said earlier using a usb bootable device with the Windows creation media tool on it.

Apr 12, 2019
Did the Red LED come up before when the computer was working? And the problem that your experiencing is probably some corrupt Windows files (I had the same issue with a faulty hard drive) and you might have to reinstall Windows again like I said earlier using a usb bootable device with the Windows creation media tool on it.

I think so, and after some time of the black screen I started to get a white horizontal ticking line, and after an extra while I got the following message: "The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors."

So yes, corrupt Windows files. But how do I reinstall Windows? I can look that up, how to do it, but don't I need a USB-stick with Windows 1O on it?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
first dust off system and this red led from motherboard user manual is referring to witch parts on the board also you will need a iso on a usb drive to repair files could you see bios if not remove gpu from system and try onboard to monitor .

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
I think so, and after some time of the black screen I started to get a white horizontal ticking line, and after an extra while I got the following message: "The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors."

So yes, corrupt Windows files. But how do I reinstall Windows? I can look that up, how to do it, but don't I need a USB-stick with Windows 1O on it?
Get an empty USB stick or a USB stick with files that you don't need (when downloading the creation tool it will delete every file, learnt that the hard way) and download the tool here ---> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (you need a working pc with windows 10 or 8/7 to access this website (I think)) and once you have downloaded it, open it and follow the instructions. Then it appears with an option: Create installation media for another PC and select it. Then you can choose your settings for Windows 10 (64bit 32bit etc) and click next. Then select USB flash drive and click on next again. Then select your USB and it'll download the tool onto your USB. And then follow the instructions (if there are any) afterwards. After you've installed it, insert the USB into a port on your PC and access the boot menu when you turn it off and boot from the USB. Then follow the Windows installation instructions.
I really hope this helps you and I didn't waste my time typing all this out (jk)

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
Get an empty USB stick or a USB stick with files that you don't need (when downloading the creation tool it will delete every file, learnt that the hard way) and download the tool here ---> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (you need a working pc with windows 10 or 8/7 to access this website (I think)) and once you have downloaded it, open it and follow the instructions. Then it appears with an option: Create installation media for another PC and select it. Then you can choose your settings for Windows 10 (64bit 32bit etc) and click next. Then select USB flash drive and click on next again. Then select your USB and it'll download the tool onto your USB. And then follow the instructions (if there are any) afterwards. After you've installed it, insert the USB into a port on your PC and access the boot menu when you turn it off and boot from the USB. Then follow the Windows installation instructions.
I really hope this helps you and I didn't waste my time typing all this out (jk)
btw once you fixed your pc run Command Prompt as administrator and type in this: sfc /scannow
That command checks your system files and repairs any corrupt ones (even after installing a fresh version of Windows there still could be corrupt files)

Apr 12, 2019
Thanks a lot for helping me out! I am probably planning to dust off my system but first I will try to repair my windows. I can't thank you enough for the effort and I will keep you updated here about my repairing progress.

Reactions: OF_freeCn

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
Nice! It’s looking good already, but which option do I have to select? It’s in Dutch but the title is ‘advanced options’.

This is the english translation: https://images.app.goo.gl/3hm5Kjdy4qtcyEDi6
Is this after or before the installation? You need to access the boot menu when your motherboard manufacturer comes up, usually f12 on your keyboard but it could be something else.

Apr 12, 2019
Is this after or before the installation? You need to access the boot menu when your motherboard manufacturer comes up, usually f12 on your keyboard but it could be something else.

I didn't install anything yet and I'm in this menu now, I can't go out of this window yet. Which options do I have to choose now?

btw i edited my previous message

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
I didn't install anything yet and I'm in this menu now, I can't go out of this window yet.

btw i edited my previous message
Reboot (restart) your pc and when the motherboard logo comes up there should be an option to access the boot menu, F12 on your keyboard for example then you need to select your USB device and boot from that.

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
But why should I go to the boot menu? I didn't do anything yet with my windows tool yet. My windows has to be repaired first, right?
No, you can't repair it because it wouldn't work, you literally have to reinstall Windows but you can keep the files as there is an option since Windows has already been installed on your device.

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
Youc an activate Windows 10 later as long as you have a digital license conencted to your Microsoft Account. So when you install Windows 10, click 'I don't have a product key'

Apr 12, 2019
Well, I chose "I don't have a key" and chose to install and I got this:

"Compatibility report

The upgrade option is not available if you start your pc with Windows installation media.

If you already have a Windows copy installed on this computer and you want to do an upgrade, remove the installation media and restart the computer. When Windows is booted normally, insert the installation media and start the Windows setup."

Obviously, I couldn't get into Windows so I'm confused. What do I have to do? :(

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
Seems like Windows is being a %@#!
This might seem more complicated than I thought, you might have to get a new hard drive/SSD and install Windows on that. Otherwise you'll lose your files if you select the option where you install a completely new Windows without keeping files.

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
Seems like Windows is being a %@#!
This might seem more complicated than I thought, you might have to get a new hard drive/SSD and install Windows on that. Otherwise you'll lose your files if you select the option where you install a completely new Windows without keeping files.
Actually, you know where you had the advanced options screen? Go on that, select command prompt and run sfc /scannow
If that fails then you might need to get a new drive.

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
Done, "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."
Windows sometimes...
Now I fully recommend getting a new drive to install windows on. When you install Windows on the new drive, make sure that your pc boots off from the new drive not the old one (also keep the USB stick since you need it to install Windows obviously).