Question Black screen after changing CPU (weird compitability problem)

Nov 17, 2019
Hello Everyone
I'm still struggling with upgrading my old PC. I'm having a job interview soon (software developing) and desperately need it.

Let's start with Old PC Specs

CPU: 3770K
Chipset: Intel B75 Express (OEM motherboard that has no updates)
Ram: 8 GB 1333 mhz
GPU 460 GTX

SO, as an upgrade, i Added another 8 GB or ram ,got a gtx 1060 and also an SSD Drive from samsung and a third screen.

Here is the Problem chronologically.
1- The PC froze on booting, found out that it is not possible to disable safe boot => Motherboard had to be changed
2- Found out that all motherboards from that era specially the Z77 are expenssive as hell in germany
3- Got an Asus P8P67-M Pro
4- I found out that the CPU wasn't compitable unless i update the Bios
5- I bought an I3-2100 for 6 Euros (equivalent to 6.5 USD) and used it to update the bios
6- I noticed that the pc crashes after the windows symbol when i used the I3-2100
7- I ve put back the I7-3770K and nothing shows up on screen
8- I assumed that i broke it somehow so i returnted the old motherboard and everything works fine
9- I put the new motherboard again, tested with both graphic cards, nothing is showing up on the screen
10- i put the I3-2100 again on the new board, i have access to bios but it crashes after the windows Logo

I'm in a major financial crisis (can't buy a new pc) and i made those improvements to speed up my productivity in order to land the job i want (have an interview in under two weeks :O ) and instead i spent my time fixing this whole mess.

I would appriciate every help possible
I didn't know where to put the problem, since both motherboards and both CPUS work (ironically, the 2100 with the new one and the 3770k with the old one)

Best regards

Nov 17, 2019
Do you try to use the gtx460 in either combination( i3+B75, and i7+p8p67)? because the newer gtx1060 may have compatibility problem with the old MB, or your PSU may have problem to handle the gtx1060.

The Gtx 460 Works with follwoing combinations:
3770k + Old Acer Motherboard
2100 + New Asus Motherboard
and does not work in follwong
3770K + New Asus Motherboard

I didn't try the I3 + B75, there is no reason to believe that it won't work

I don't think that the psu is the problem at all
it needs less energy than the gtx 460

That means the gtx1060 has compatibility problem with those MB, I know the newer gtx1060 will not work with most of the OEM old PC. For the p67 chipset MB, because the MB bios is too old too, so nothing you can do, just use the gtx460 with the i7+B75, or gtx460+2100+p67.

tell you what it's late now but tomorrow I will test both those motherboard chips and I have a GTX 1060 6gb Nvidia card here at the shop. a b75 chipset and a P67 chipset. I can also use a i7 3770 and or a i7 2600 I will let you know results

SO, as an upgrade, i Added another 8 GB or ram ,got a gtx 1060 and also an SSD Drive from samsung and a third screen.
1- The PC froze on booting, found out that it is not possible to disable safe boot => Motherboard had to be changed
Find out, what change causes freezing. I'd suspect ram upgrade to be the cause.

Test your old system by adding/upgrading only one component at the time.
  1. Change gpu. Does system boot up/work normally?
  2. Add ssd. Test again.
  3. Add ram. Test again, run memtest86.
Note. If you change motherboard, then be prepared to reinstall windows.

BTW - What PSU are you using? I hope, you're not trying to run 2 graphics cards simultaneously with some weak low quality PSU.

Nov 17, 2019
tell you what it's late now but tomorrow I will test both those motherboard chips and I have a GTX 1060 6gb Nvidia card here at the shop. a b75 chipset and a P67 chipset. I can also use a i7 3770 and or a i7 2600 I will let you know results

3TPa.gif

May god bless you (and i'm an agnostic haha)

Just keep in mind that most B75 chipsets support the 1060 GTX with a bios update. My Mobo does not. I had to change it to a p67

Nov 17, 2019
Find out, what change causes freezing. I'd suspect ram upgrade to be the cause.

Test your old system by adding/upgrading only one component at the time.
  1. Change gpu. Does system boot up/work normally?
  2. Add ssd. Test again.
  3. Add ram. Test again, run memtest86.
Note. If you change motherboard, then be prepared to reinstall windows.

BTW - What PSU are you using? I hope, you're not trying to run 2 graphics cards simultaneously with some weak low quality PSU.

1. The Gtx 460 works with both configurations, The GTX 1060 should work with the 2100 only but didn't test that yet
  2. The SSD is still in its packing, it's empty
  3. I used 4 GB of Ram, same problem, i have 4 sticks, 4 GB each

i just need to get it to boot with the 3770k and the P67.

Here is the Problem chronologically.

2- Found out that all motherboards from that era specially the Z77 are expenssive as hell in germany

3- Got an Asus P8P67-M Pro

4- I found out that the CPU wasn't compitable unless i update the Bios

5- I bought an I3-2100 for 6 Euros (equivalent to 6.5 USD) and used it to update the bios

6- I noticed that the pc crashes after the windows symbol when i used the I3-2100

....So computer works and Windows DRM knows major parts have changed" that's stopping booting
new motherboard new i3 CPU with windows install from old setup

7- I ve put back the I7-3770K and nothing shows up on screen
....so 3rd gen i7 3770k not happy in new board "older chipset but flashed BIOS:

8- I assumed that i broke it somehow so i returnted the old motherboard and everything works fine
....so I7 3770K CPU is ok in original setup

9- I put the new motherboard again, tested with both graphic cards, nothing is showing up on the screen
....so I7 3770K in older chipset new board still not posting

10- i put the I3-2100 again on the new board, i have access to bios but it crashes after the windows Logo
....so new motherboard with flashed BIOS older chipset works with i3 2gen CPU but
Windows DRM knows major parts have changed. That's why at the windows logo it crashes. needs fresh install of windows

I'm in a major financial crisis (can't buy a new pc) and i made those improvements to speed up my productivity in order to land the job i want
(have an interview in under two weeks :O ) and instead i spent my time fixing this whole mess.

I would appriciate every help possible
I didn't know where to put the problem, since both motherboards and both CPUS work (ironically, the 2100 with the new one and the 3770k with the old one)

The Gtx 460 Works with following combinations:

3770k + Old Acer Motherboard

2100 + New Asus Motherboard

and does not work in follwong
3770K + New Asus Motherboard

I didn't try the I3 + B75, there is no reason to believe that it won't work

Just trying to put it all into perspective to try to help you out!

So after I get some coffee in me I will do some testing.

But have a question for you .Can you on your end test GTX 1060 with your new older chipset motherboard with the i3 2nd Gen CPU. Use a spare hard drive fresh windows and only 2 sticks of memory. This should tell us if at the very least the 1060 on old chipset works. It's the whole reason the upgrade were started in the first place. Than we can move on to the 3770k

Nov 17, 2019
So after I get some coffee in me I will do some testing.

But have a question for you .Can you on your end test GTX 1060 with your new older chipset motherboard with the i3 2nd Gen CPU. Use a spare hard drive fresh windows and only 2 sticks of memory. This should tell us if at the very least the 1060 on old chipset works. It's the whole reason the upgrade were started in the first place. Than we can move on to the 3770k

Thanks for replying :)

Yes it works

i'm going to give it another 24 hours then give up and buy a new set (newer processor and all)
I hate my my current tiny case. I got
  • an old good gigantic Cooler Master HAF X for 20$ in super condition.
  • a seasonic SSP 650 RT that only functioned for two weeks for 32$

The frustration from all this made me spend the whole day looking for good deals of used parts