Question Black screen After Display Turns off due to inactivity but will not turn back on when i move the mouse/keyboard ONLY in SLI

kaibaaa

Honorable
May 18, 2014
Hi all

I have been running 2x MSI GTX 970 in SLI for good 6 months and had no issues at all. Once the summer started my room kept getting very hot so i decided that i will disable SLI and take one of the graphics card out for the summer to keep my room cooler. Now that summer is over i decided to install the other 970 and go back to SLI. The card runs fine in games, benchmarks and stress test. No screen tearing, crashes or glitches. Good fps. No temp issues at all. But ive noticed that once my display turns off after 15mins due to inactivity it will not turn back on when i move my mouse like it should do. This only happens when i have 2 graphics card but when a single graphics card is used it works fine and display turns back on when i move the mouse. This problem doesn't happen always but like 2/3 of the time and when it happens my screen does not say "no dvi detected" its just black (with monitors back light still on which is super odd) whereas when i have a single card and the display turns off it will say "no dvi detected" and then monitor goes black and the back light turns off too. So it seems that when the display is turned off due to inactivity when SLI is enabled the graphics cards still send some sort of signal that keeps the monitors back light on but as i said the display will not turn on when i move my mouse.

When this problem occurs 90% of the time i have to restart my pc BUT sometimes when i spam alt+ctr+del for a good minute straight i can see the LEDs on my graphics card flash (seems like gpu or driver restart or something?) and the display will comeback on.
Does anyone have any advice for this issue? Any advice would be appreciated!

I have tried reinstalling drivers, updating BIOS, disabling all third party software so that all im running is windows and drivers yet the problem still occurs. The graphics card were never overclocked.

My specs:
CPU: Intel i5 8400
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 3000Mhz
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
GPU: 2x MSI GTX 970
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVME SSD (Boot Drive)
Storage: WD Black 2TB HDD (Storage Drive)
Power Supply: Coolermaster Silent Pro M2 1000W
CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz
I use a dual link DVI cable

ASK THE COMMUNITY