Question Black screen after enabling multi-monitor and iGPU in BIOS

Bolychkanov

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
My GPU hadn't been working lately, so I thought the monitor was running on the CPU secondary GPU, but realized that this is not the case, instead i've been running on the default drivers that Windows provide. Thus I wanted to try enabling my CPU graphics, being the Intel HD 4600 version. But when downloading these drivers, I got the error message saying my pc does not meet the requirements. According to Intel, this message shows up when "You have an external video card in your system, some motherboards disable the integrated graphic chipset of the processor when an external video card is attached; ". After som further reading, I read that you need to enable multi-monitor and iGPU in your BIOS advanced system agent settings. After doing this and saving, one is supposed to download the Intel graphics drivers, but how am I supposed to do this if I get a black screen because I don't have the drivers?!

So i'm stuck at a black screen when booting, the monitor simply gets dvi no signal. I've tried hooking my dual link cable to the VGA slot instead of the DVI slot on the back of the pc, but no difference.

What else can I try?

Bolychkanov

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
and that the gpu or the motherboard dvi output?
Okay I realized now it was to GPU. But now I removed GPU and put cable from DVI monitor to DVI motherboard. Because people say my mobo blocks integrated graphics when a discrete graphics unit is attached to it.

But it still black screens on boot up. Do I need a DVI to VGA adapter? Because right now I have no way of trying the Mobo VGA slot.

Edit: neither my monitor nor my mobo states the DVI type (analog+digital or just digital). They just say "DVI" with no added letter to distinguish the types.

Edit2: if my mobo DVI is I-type, i.e digital+analog, then it SHOULD work using this slot to connect my monitor. But it doesn't.

Last edited:

henterpriser

Reputable
Sep 14, 2019
Okay I realized now it was to GPU. But now I removed GPU and put cable from DVI monitor to DVI motherboard. Because people say my mobo blocks integrated graphics when a discrete graphics unit is attached to it.

But it still black screens on boot up. Do I need a DVI to VGA adapter? Because right now I have no way of trying the Mobo VGA slot.

Edit: neither my monitor nor my mobo states the DVI type (analog+digital or just digital). They just say "DVI" with no added letter to distinguish the types.

Edit2: if my mobo DVI is I-type, i.e digital+analog, then it SHOULD work using this slot to connect my monitor. But it doesn't.
Hello.

First of all i want you to know something....
(you can skip this part if you want the solution only)

There are two graphical processors inside your computer. One is your dedicated GPU and the second one is the integrated GPU which is that "Intel HD graphics"

your motherboard was sending the signal using the Dedicated GPU to the monitor connected to that GPU.
And the Intel HD Graphics which it's port is on the motherboard was turned off and no signal was transmitting through its port.

The reason Intel HD Graphics driver didn't recognized your IGPU is simply because you are not using that GPU to send signal to the monitors.

And then you entered the BIOS and changed your graphical processor to that Intel HD Graphics. which means your dedicated GPU which your monitor is currently connected to is turned off and the signal is now sending through the port on the motherboard. this will cause the monitor to not show anything because its now connected to the wrong port.

Now we should reset the bios to use the external GPU as it was using it before.

Note: your external GPU is stronger than that Intel HD Graphics!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The solution:
You should reset your BIOS to revert any changes you have done in it.

To do so you can use the BIOS jumper on the motherboard.
Or remove the battery on the motherboard for more than 10 minute then put it back

Then connect the monitor cable To the GPU not the motherboard and install your Nvidia/AMD drivers.