[SOLVED] Black screen after enabling secure boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2022
Hi, I upgraded to windows 11 a while back, no problems at all. I then tried to play valorant the other day and it said I needed to enable secure boot which I did, but now when I try to boot my pc it’s stuck in a perpetual boot cycle. I’ve seen this is a problem for a lot of other people with gigabyte mobos who fixed it with integrated graphics, but I don’t have a cpu with that. Is there any other solutions apart from buying a new mobo?
Specs:
Ryzen 7 5800X
ROG STRIX 2060
Gigabyte B-450 Elite V2
16GB Corsair vengeance

Solution
You can't enable secure boot AFTER you've installed Windows. It needs to be enabled BEFORE you install Windows. I'd recommend you reset the BIOS to get back to a working system, as follows, and then if you need Secure boot enabled which will allow for a full UEFI installation versus a legacy installation, that you back up any important data, then enable secure boot and then do a full clean install of Windows by booting to a Windows 11 USB flash drive which you can create using the Windows media creation tool on the MS website.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to...
You can't enable secure boot AFTER you've installed Windows. It needs to be enabled BEFORE you install Windows. I'd recommend you reset the BIOS to get back to a working system, as follows, and then if you need Secure boot enabled which will allow for a full UEFI installation versus a legacy installation, that you back up any important data, then enable secure boot and then do a full clean install of Windows by booting to a Windows 11 USB flash drive which you can create using the Windows media creation tool on the MS website.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.

Solution
Apr 29, 2022
Hey man, thanks for the reply. I tried this to no avail. Seems as though resetting cmos doesn’t actually reset the secure boot option, (some other people with same problem found this too). I feel like only option at this point is take it to a store where they are able to fix it for me.

A store can't do anything to restore a bricked BIOS ROM or make changes to borked CMOS settings that are no longer accessible. ONLY the manufacturer can do this really, and maybe a handful of specialty repair facilities.

What is it ACTUALLY doing? Do you get nothing but a black screen after you power on, or are you seeing the normal POST screen and then it restarts each time it tries to begin the Windows boot process? I'm assuming you're just getting a no signal or black screen, otherwise you'd be able to simply go back into the BIOS and change the setting.

I've never seen, or heard of, ANY scenario where enabling Secure Boot resulted in an inability to reset the BIOS to default settings by doing a hard reset. I suspect that perhaps you've skipped a step or tried doing it a different way like jumping the cmos reset pins, which is NOT the same process. You MUST do EVERY step as I outlined it. Flip the switch off on the PSU. Unplug the power cable. Remove the CMOS battery. Disconnect or remove ALL storage devices like M.2 SSD, SATA SSD or HDD. Press the power button and KEEP ON pressing it for 30 seconds, continuously. After the CMOS battery has been out for 5 minutes put it all back EXCEPT FOR the storage devices and power on.

If that fails to work at all, you might also try removing the CMOS battery and powering on with NO CMOS battery installed. Then reinstall the CMOS battery and see if you can then access the BIOS.

If that doesn't work then there is more going on or something you have not mentioned, and you will likely need to send it back to Gigabyte for an RMA warranty replacement. Unless you are missing a step or not doing something right, I cannot foresee there being anything that any shop is going to attempt that would go beyond what I've described here, but then again, who knows I guess.

Apr 29, 2022
Yea so when I power on it just keeps going through the POST cycle, flashing through all the debug leds other than that just black screen. I’ll give resetting BIOS a go again (first message didn’t say remove storage devices) so hopefully that will work

I'd pull the whole thing apart and test it on the bench, like, on cardboard or the top of the box the motherboard came in, etc.

What is your EXACT power supply model?

May 1, 2022
I’m having the same problem and my monitor keeps saying no signal I have re tried the steps twice so far and nothing is working and i got this monitor and pc today so I don’t know how it’s screwed up this bad

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022
I'd pull the whole thing apart and test it on the bench, like, on cardboard or the top of the box the motherboard came in, etc.

My PSU is Corsair TX650M gold but the thing is I ONLY have had this problem after I enabled secure boot like my pc is totally fine otherwise

My PSU is corsair TX650M gold, but the thing is these problems ONLY happened the second i enabled secure boot. I think at this point im just going to need to buy a new mobo, but definitely not going with gigabyte again.

So, try this. Power off, remove the graphics card and power on. Let it cycle through a few times, likely you should also get a GPU debug. Then, power off, reinstall the graphics card and power back on. See if that makes any change.

If not, the next potential solution would likely be to see if you can borrow a graphics card and swap it in for the one that's in there now. Seems a lot of these Secure boot issues end up being display adapter related and swapping the graphics card out seems to work for some people.

If you don't have another graphics card or know anybody you can borrow one from, then you might need to take it to a repair shop or service center and explain the situation and ask them if they can swap out the graphics card to see if you can get BIOS access to disable secure boot.

Apr 29, 2022
So, try this. Power off, remove the graphics card and power on. Let it cycle through a few times, likely you should also get a GPU debug. Then, power off, reinstall the graphics card and power back on. See if that makes any change.

If not, the next potential solution would likely be to see if you can borrow a graphics card and swap it in for the one that's in there now. Seems a lot of these Secure boot issues end up being display adapter related and swapping the graphics card out seems to work for some people.

If you don't have another graphics card or know anybody you can borrow one from, then you might need to take it to a repair shop or service center and explain the situation and ask them if they can swap out the graphics card to see if you can get BIOS access to disable secure boot.
Yeah sadly no luck with that either. Hopefully will be able to get it into a store in the next day or two. thanks for your help man.

Status
Not open for further replies.