Question Black screen after GPU driver installation ?

Jun 30, 2022
Hi,

I have been having issues with my system for about a month and am really at my wits end about how to fix it or find out what is wrong with...

I initially started getting a black screen after Windows loading screen - I can hear system sounds in the background and the system works fine otherwise, but it can only output a black screen image. The monitor is not showing "no signal" and works well in 4K when hooked up to my laptop using the same cable. I can get to Safe Mode and uninstall the driver, but the problem occurs as soon as a new driver is installed - during the installation process, and persists after reboot. Before a driver is installed there are faint thin vertical lines across the entire screen.

So far I have tested it with:
• 2 different M.2 NVME SSDs - Sabrent Rocket PCIE 4.0 and Sabrent Rocket PCIE 3.0 - One of them was formatted and a new copy of Windows 10 was installed.
• 2 different GPUs - Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce 3060ti and AMD FirePro W7100 - both GPUs had the same problem - black screen after the installation of the specific driver, manually downloading from the website for the specific model or through Geforce Experience or the AMD equivalent, after cleaning the drivers and files in Safe Mode with DDU. I could get 4K image before installing the driver of the AMD GPU, but with artefacts and the same horizontal lines. The Nvidia GPU is my main GPU and was serviced by Amazon / Gigabyte repairs and returned to me, as I initially assumed it was a GPU issue.
• 2 different Motherboards - X570 Asus TUF Gaming and B550 Gigabyte Aorus Pro AC - with the SSDs put in one at a time in either of the two Gen 3 and 4 motherboard slots. None of the debug motherboard lights turn on before or after the problem occurs. Same vertical lines show with both GPUs in both of the Motherboards before the driver installation on the formatted SSD.
• 2 different monitor cables - HDMI and Display in 2 different monitors - same vertical lines were visible before the driver installation and black screen during and after a driver is installed and presumably resolution was changed to native 4K.

I also took my GPU, SSD and RAM to a friend's house to test in their system and everything seemingly worked fine, although we only tested at 1080p. The vertical lines were not present on my friend's system and there was a wider choice of resolutions even before the driver could be installed.

• The RAM is Team Group Ripped Edition DDR4 - 2 x 8GB - 3600 MHz
• The CPU is AMD Ryzen 7 3700x - could such problems be caused by it? It is the one part I haven't tried replacing and was not tested in my friend's system.
• The PSU is Corsair RM850x - a 850w modular power supply which should be plenty for the 200W GPU and 65W CPU. I also tried using a different 8pin cable to the GPU and the system otherwise powers up and runs fine.

Any advice or further recommendations would be greatly appreciated, as I have just about run out of parts to test and have been struggling with this issue for a long time...

Would you recommend getting a new CPU to test whether the problem persists?

IBeats

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
Download DDU and uninstall both AMD and Nvidia drivers make sure you only have one driver installed whatever GPU is in.

Try resetting the monitor settings to default and make sure your cables can support 4k and Hz

Try a clean OS
Install one one ram stick
Install one m.2/storage
Use one GPU (Don't use AMD FirePro W7100 ) as they might be conflicting with the drivers

Jun 30, 2022
Hi IBeats,

Thank you for the reply.

I probably didn't make it clear in my op:
• I have only been testing with one GPU at a time and cleaning all of the drivers in advance with DDU.
• The problem is happening on a formatted SSD with a new installation of Windows 10
• I did try removing either of the RAM sticks and also they didn't show as defective in my friend's system
• I have always been testing with a single one of the m.2 drives in one of the motherboard slots for both motherboards
• I may try resetting the monitor settings, although the same problem occurred on a different monitor and I have been using the monitor to output 4K image from my laptop.

Download DDU and uninstall both AMD and Nvidia drivers make sure you only have one driver installed whatever GPU is in.

Try resetting the monitor settings to default and make sure your cables can support 4k and Hz

Try a clean OS
Install one one ram stick
Install one m.2/storage
Use one GPU (Don't use AMD FirePro W7100 ) as they might be conflicting with the drivers

IBeats

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
Hi IBeats,

Thank you for the reply.

I probably didn't make it clear in my op:
• I have only been testing with one GPU at a time and cleaning all of the drivers in advance with DDU.
• The problem is happening on a formatted SSD with a new installation of Windows 10
• I did try removing either of the RAM sticks and also they didn't show as defective in my friend's system
• I have always been testing with a single one of the m.2 drives in one of the motherboard slots for both motherboards
• I may try resetting the monitor settings, although the same problem occurred on a different monitor and I have been using the monitor to output 4K image from my laptop.

Is your PSU modular, check if you're using the correct PCIe cables, and lanes

PCIE cable should be 6+2
CPU is 4+4
Also only use the cables that came with the PSU

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022
Thanks,

• I have tried a few different 8Pin slots in the PSU itself and using two different cables that came with it.

Is it possible that the modular PSU itself is defective? Perhaps the GPU only starts drawing more power when the driver is installed and resolution is changed to 4K? Also the AMD GPU was able to output 4K but with artefacts before the driver installation, as it has a lower TDP than the GeForce card...

I may check again tonight before buying a new CPU...

Is your PSU modular, check if you're using the correct PCIe cables, and lanes

PCIE cable should be 6+2
CPU is 4+4
Also only use the cables that came with the PSU