Question Black Screen after GPU driver update (even in bios) ?

Mage123

Honorable
Jul 1, 2016
Heya,

Basically, GPU "NVS 810" was running fine, but after the driver update, everything went black. (Can't access bios).

Basically, as I understand I need a second GPU for rollback.

Question.
Where are GPU drivers stored? (if all files are on the system, then I can try format disk externally and try fresh install)

Solution:
It was Display, Found one which works with NVS 810...

Last edited:

Mage123

Honorable
Jul 1, 2016
Was it a driver update or a firmware update? A driver update shouldn’t affect bios whatsoever. Does the cars happen to have a dual bios switch?

It was Driver Update.
Nvidia "R470 U9 (473.47)" Drivers for win 10 - 64 bit.

I doubt about the Dual bios ,card is NVS 810.

All vents on card are running, pc is turning on, the display has a signal, but it's simply just a black screen (can't access even bios)

Mage123

Honorable
Jul 1, 2016
interesting. What cpu do you have? If you have a cpu with built in graphics then you may be able to pull the gpu, boot up and remove the driver, then see if you can download the last working driver and reinstall the card.

It's an old Intel "Intel Xeon Processor E3-1240 v2", it does not have an integrated GPU.

I'm just confused is it "GPU" or "Drivers fault" or "Monitors" or "PSU" or "Motherboard", I was thinking maybe there is something wrong with boot "Legacy/UEFI" hence card is sending a signal to monitor but it's just black...

Note: Before updating GPU I did BIOS update, and then after 30 min did GPU update. (Every think was working fine before GPU driver Update)

Mage123

Honorable
Jul 1, 2016
You might try to reset the cmos on that system. Unplug from the wall and pulling the cmos battery for a few minutes say for 10-15 should do it.

Changed Video card, and did CMOS reset, still a black screen... (i did try all PCIE slots)...

PC boots up, as I can hear the sound when plugin keyboard or mouse in...

Is that possible that GPU driver messed up something else?

May be a good checklist to look at. Might check your cables etc and maybe try plugging into a different screen. For example if you have a TV you can plug into temporarily. Since the computer actually seems to boot. Usually systems give some kind of error codes if they can’t detect video.

Mage123

Honorable
Jul 1, 2016

May be a good checklist to look at. Might check your cables etc and maybe try plugging into a different screen. For example if you have a TV you can plug into temporarily. Since the computer actually seems to boot. Usually systems give some kind of error codes if they can’t detect video.

Thanks though, no idea what the issue is there, I tried almost everything. (Cables, 2x GPUS...) ( I will try to get CPU with integrated graphics)

Jun 28, 2022
This is a genuinely generic issue that numerous clients have looked at one time or the other. What's more, more often than not, it's either a direct result of an inappropriate BIOS update or due to a harmed motherboard. Dark screen after BIOS is a confounding issue, fundamentally in light of the fact that your left with no GUI and no directions by any means.

On the off chance that you can some way or another entrance the protected mode, youre in karma, as a new Windows establishment or a startup fix can fix your concern. Be that as it may, this won't be the situation for a greater part of clients and in this situation, you need to depend on different strategies.
What Causes a Black Screen After BIOS?
From faulty peripherals to corrupted drivers, here are all the causes for black screens appearing after BIOS:
  • Corrupted peripherals
  • Corrupted display drivers
  • Corrupted MBR
  • Power supply problems
  • Overheating