Black screen after installing a new graphics card. :( (A bit of a noob)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddiaz_2012

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Over the weekend, I bought a GeForce GT 640 2GB 128-bit DDR3 card and a 530w PSU to go along with the upgrade to my system. Upon installation of both devices (every power cable was plugged back into its appropriate spot, as well as the card), I booted my PC up to get started only to find no feedback. Just a black screen and no beeping to indicate improper installation. I opened my tower back up to make sure everything was connected properly and it was then I rebooted and still, nothing. I connected my VGA cable into the integrated graphics and still received no feedback so I decided to remove the card. Upon removal, I was able to receive a signal from my integrated graphics. So, I'm lost. What caused this?

I wondered if it was my motherboard that was maybe out of date, but it seems like that isn't actually possible. Then, I also figured it could be my CPU that is out of date, but I'm not sure if that's possible either.

My specs:
Model: HP Pavilion A6500F
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual E2220 @ 2.40GHz
RAM: 4 GB
PSU: 530w

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Here are the steps I tried to fix the issue on my computer.

1. Turn off the computer and unplug.
  2. Remove Graphic card.
  3. Plug the monitor to your video output.
  4. Turn on the computer.
  5. Click on start and type msconfig.
  6. Select the Boot tab and click on the box that says Safe boot with minimal selected.
  7. Apply then click ok.
  8. DO NOT RESTART.
  9. Shut Down computer and unplug.
  10. Install Graphic card.
  11. Turn on the computer (should boot into safe mode).
  12. Go into Device Manager.
  13. Expand Display Adapter.
  14. Disable the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 driver. (DO NOT UNINSTALL).
  15. Click the start button and type msconfig.
  16. Unclick Safe boot.
  17. Restart.

The computer will restart normally and will no longer get the...

danko12321

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015
I'm having a similar issue. After installing a graphics card driver for my gtx 780 the video output has ceased. Even after I take the card out and run through my mobo hdmi I can't get any output, can't even get into the bios and play around in it. This is doubly frustrating as i've bought a new mobo and cpu thinking the mobo was the problem as it happened on my old 1155 as well.

grodder

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
If there is no beeps and graphic card is working ie fans are on then it's likely going to be motherboard BIOS issue. Drivers, uninstalling old card etc are good if you getting no display following POST but during the bootup if you not getting display at all then likely the card, motherboard or BIOS affecting this.

My case updating the BIOS which included support for PCI-E Gen3 Cards which fixed my issue.

Bob-the-PC-Builder

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
This worked for me with the ASUS Gene MAXIMUS VIII motherboard and a Geforce GTX 980 TI hybrid graphics card.

1- remove the graphics card,(so that the integrated graphics work again, and you can see what you are doing in the next step)
2- update the Bios
3- add the graphics card

Steven_39

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016

I figured it out, go into bios end enable Intel multi display under advanced, then install graphics card but boot with default video card, then go to nvidia website and install driver then restart.

jundiii

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016
have the same problem in my zotacg gtx 960 amp edition 2gb. testing in my friend pc is work fine. i also has bought a new motherboard. i try my older vga, and its working normal. but if i put my 960 its like that again.

my rig
fsp hexa plus 500 w
asrock 970 pro3 r2
zotac gtx 960 amp edition
ocpc extreme edition 2x4gb
seagate 5400rpm 250 gb
seagate 5400rpm 500 gb

Liam TOng

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
For me, the problem is ,after years of searching and modifying, the monitor can't automatically figure out what mode of input you are using. So I solve mine just switching monitor mode from VGA to HDMI. Sounds stupid but you can give it a try if none of above works for you.
PS. Personally speaking, I don't recommend updating your BIOS, or better to do that when you try all the might be solutions to your problem.

My Monitor:
BenQ 24-inch LED Monitor, 2ms, HDMI (GL2460HM) (Don't mean to criticize this monitor or something, maybe I did something to my monitor that makes it unable to switch input mode itself.

Patrick_110

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016

Worked thank you. except disable not uninstall.

revathetaker

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016

bluhefner - I'm trying to troubleshoot a similar problem. From what I can see, it's the GPU slot which is corrupt. I can see the menu where it asks you if you want to enter the BIOS, can't enter bios no matter what. After which it ends up with a black screen instead of windows loading. My question- Does a corrupt gpu slot result in BIOS not opening ???? The PC boots up normally with out the graphic card. can enter the bios as well.

Agiyosi

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

Just used your post to troubleshoot my installation of a GeForce GTX 660 onto an Asus P8Z68-V MB. Much obliged.

S M_1_

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
My solution is to plug you VGA cable into the back of your graphics card. My card is a GeForce 9500 GT 1GB. I bought an DVI-I adapter (female DVI-I to Male VGA) for less than a new cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.