[SOLVED] Black Screen after installing GPU drivers for Gigabyte RX 590 ?

JoeSchmo12346

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014
I recently attempted to update the drivers for my GPU and after restarting my PC all I get is a blank screen. I presume I'll have to delete and reinstall the graphics drivers, I'm just not sure how to boot my PC using the onboard graphics. Can anyone shed any light on the subject? Not sure where I heard it but I might have read that this particular motherboard has no onboard graphics capabilities. I'm not sure how that would work as surely it would be needed for the setup process before the GPU is installed (plus there's an HDMI port on the rear i/o panel).

My specs are as follows:

• Motherboard: ASUS TUF x470-Plus Gaming
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • GPU: Gigabyte RX 590
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)
  • Hobbies: Crashing; Running Slowly

It might be worth mentioning that I never got the motherboard screen when I used to boot my PC up, it was just blank 'til the Windows 10 sign-in screen. Don't know if that's a sign of anything ?

Solution
So, if anyone's interested, I ended up wiping my hard drive and reinstalling Windows, then the latest graphics drivers. It worked fine after the initial reboot but then I faced the blank screen issue on the next start-up. Then it dawned on me that I had three additional monitors plugged in to my graphics card. When I yanked each of these cables out suddenly my monitor came to life. It's occurred to me that this might have been the issue from the outset; perhaps, for whatever reason, updating my graphics drivers (or the fact that I switched from the Adrenaline to the Pro ones), caused my default monitor selection to switch- maybe! Never mind, my PC needed a bit of a clean up anyway I suppose, hope someone might find this helpful in the...

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
So unfortunately, your machine doesn't have onboard graphics. But your motherboard supports processors that do.

How long has this been happening? Any other changes besides your driver update?

Could you tell us about your Power Supply? What is the wattage, who makes it, and how long you've had it?

JoeSchmo12346

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014
So unfortunately, your machine doesn't have onboard graphics. But your motherboard supports processors that do.

How long has this been happening? Any other changes besides your driver update?

Could you tell us about your Power Supply? What is the wattage, who makes it, and how long you've had it?

Thanks for refreshing my memory, it's actually the CPU that doesn't have onboard graphics. Now I remember.

It's been happening ever since I tried to install the latest AMD 'Pro Edition' Drivers yesterday. I was prompted restart my PC after the install, and then all I got was a blank screen on start-up. I'm fairly sure it's the driver update that caused it. I just can't figure out how I managed to install my GPU in the first place without onboard graphics- is it the case that you can run your graphics card without drivers installed? I really can't remember!

My power supply is an EVGA 750 G3, so 750 Watts. Had it a few years, don't know precisely how long.

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
Alright, this may or may not work but it is something to try.

Unplug your computer from any power. Then hold down your power button for 30 - 45 seconds. This hopefully will clear whatever state your computer found itself in and allow you to boot back up.

If that doesn't work, there is also a way to book your computer into safe mode with your power button. However it is a little bit more cumbersome to do and hopefully you wont need to.
  1. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
  2. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
  3. On the first sign that Windows has started (for example, some devices show the manufacturer’s logo when restarting) hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
  4. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
  5. When Windows restarts, hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
  6. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
  7. Allow your device to fully restart. You will enter winRE.
Once you get into winRE you should go to Troubleshooting > Advanced Settings > Startup Settings > Restart

Should bring you back to the last viable configuration and get you into windows.

JoeSchmo12346

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014
Alright, this may or may not work but it is something to try.

Unplug your computer from any power. Then hold down your power button for 30 - 45 seconds. This hopefully will clear whatever state your computer found itself in and allow you to boot back up.

If that doesn't work, there is also a way to book your computer into safe mode with your power button. However it is a little bit more cumbersome to do and hopefully you wont need to.
  1. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
  2. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
  3. On the first sign that Windows has started (for example, some devices show the manufacturer’s logo when restarting) hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
  4. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
  5. When Windows restarts, hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
  6. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
  7. Allow your device to fully restart. You will enter winRE.
Once you get into winRE you should go to Troubleshooting > Advanced Settings > Startup Settings > Restart

Should bring you back to the last viable configuration and get you into windows.

Thanks for the suggestion, might be a bit late for that though. I've put the HD into another PC and deleted everything from C:\AMD (was a bit frustrated at the time). I've managed to recover some files from it though; if I were to format the drive and put it back in my old PC would I be able to do a fresh install of Windows? Do I need some sort of GFX drivers onboard in order to get any picture? Because if that's the case I can't figure out how I set it up in the first place!

JoeSchmo12346

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014
Found this on the subject:

"All video cards today are vesa compatible. What that means is they are compatible with a basic generic driver that doesn’t support the performance or bells and whistles of the card.. but will display images using the card. That driver is used if there isn’t a better driver available. it’s not much, but it’s enough to get a real driver installed. "

I guess that answers my question.

Reactions: CompuGuy71

JoeSchmo12346

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014
So, if anyone's interested, I ended up wiping my hard drive and reinstalling Windows, then the latest graphics drivers. It worked fine after the initial reboot but then I faced the blank screen issue on the next start-up. Then it dawned on me that I had three additional monitors plugged in to my graphics card. When I yanked each of these cables out suddenly my monitor came to life. It's occurred to me that this might have been the issue from the outset; perhaps, for whatever reason, updating my graphics drivers (or the fact that I switched from the Adrenaline to the Pro ones), caused my default monitor selection to switch- maybe! Never mind, my PC needed a bit of a clean up anyway I suppose, hope someone might find this helpful in the future if they encounter this issue.

Solution

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
So, if anyone's interested, I ended up wiping my hard drive and reinstalling Windows, then the latest graphics drivers. It worked fine after the initial reboot but then I faced the blank screen issue on the next start-up. Then it dawned on me that I had three additional monitors plugged in to my graphics card. When I yanked each of these cables out suddenly my monitor came to life. It's occurred to me that this might have been the issue from the outset; perhaps, for whatever reason, updating my graphics drivers (or the fact that I switched from the Adrenaline to the Pro ones), caused my default monitor selection to switch- maybe! Never mind, my PC needed a bit of a clean up anyway I suppose, hope someone might find this helpful in the future if they encounter this issue.
Man I wish you had checked this first or let us know about your multi-monitor set up!

At any rate, glad it is working for you!