[SOLVED] black screen after installing new cpu

Jul 6, 2022
hi there, i have a problem, i just finished upgrading my cpu from a ryzen 5 to a ryzen 9 5900x, but when i turn my pc on it's just a black screen, fans are spinning though, please help me cause i'm lost and i just want to get it to work

motherboard : asus prime x470-pro

Solution
If you are too nervous to update the BIOS then I would suggest taking it to an experienced technician or shop who is not.

Nervous people make mistakes. Updating the BIOS is a simple procedure and I'm not sure where you are having a problem, but making a mistake can result in big problems so you want to be sure you know what you are doing.

All you really need to do is download the latest BIOS file, unzip it's contents onto a flash drive, restart and go into the BIOS and run the BIOS EZ flash update program.

BIOS file is here: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/BIOS/PRIME-X470-PRO-ASUS-6042.zip

Instructions on updating are here (I recommend using the EZ flash method from those listed)...
Do you know what BIOS version you have installed?

First thing I'd do is try putting the original CPU back in to see if it still works. What model of Ryzen 5 did you have installed?

This might well be a lack of BIOS support for the model of CPU you are trying to use and may need to be updated before upgrading to the 5900x.

Jul 6, 2022
Do you know what BIOS version you have installed?

First thing I'd do is try putting the original CPU back in to see if it still works. What model of Ryzen 5 did you have installed?

This might well be a lack of BIOS support for the model of CPU you are trying to use and may need to be updated before upgrading to the 5900x.

ryzen 5 3600x

i have to completely start over? :)
thank yo uso much for reaching out though ill try it right now

So, yeah, I'd put the 3600x back in, then check to see what BIOS version is installed. If it is not a new enough BIOS version to support the 5900x then you will need to update the BIOS to a version that supports it and I generally recommend simply keeping the system updated to the latest version at all times anymore. BIOS updates these days are often practically as mandatory as driver updates due to changes in Windows, new hardware, bugs and fixes that are found, security vulnerabilities and refinements to the tuning for various features.

Once you update to the latest version, then try the 5900x again. I wouldn't worry terribly about replacing the thermal paste in between CPU changes until you get it to work. Just make sure it works and THEN clean the cooler and top of the CPU and apply fresh paste before final reassembly. Not much point in going through all that if the CPU still doesn't work after updating the BIOS.

Did you buy this CPU new or used and WHERE did you buy it from?

Jul 6, 2022
So, yeah, I'd put the 3600x back in, then check to see what BIOS version is installed. If it is not a new enough BIOS version to support the 5900x then you will need to update the BIOS to a version that supports it and I generally recommend simply keeping the system updated to the latest version at all times anymore. BIOS updates these days are often practically as mandatory as driver updates due to changes in Windows, new hardware, bugs and fixes that are found, security vulnerabilities and refinements to the tuning for various features.

Once you update to the latest version, then try the 5900x again. I wouldn't worry terribly about replacing the thermal paste in between CPU changes until you get it to work. Just make sure it works and THEN clean the cooler and top of the CPU and apply fresh paste before final reassembly. Not much point in going through all that if the CPU still doesn't work after updating the BIOS.

Did you buy this CPU new or used and WHERE did you buy it from?
omg, it starts with the ryzen 5, i went to the manufacturer website and pressed download on the most recent bios
but when i go to ms info it doesn't chance even after restartign , sorry for my dumb questions, i know perfectly how to do it but after spending all my money on this i'm getting really nervous :)

If you are too nervous to update the BIOS then I would suggest taking it to an experienced technician or shop who is not.

Nervous people make mistakes. Updating the BIOS is a simple procedure and I'm not sure where you are having a problem, but making a mistake can result in big problems so you want to be sure you know what you are doing.

All you really need to do is download the latest BIOS file, unzip it's contents onto a flash drive, restart and go into the BIOS and run the BIOS EZ flash update program.

BIOS file is here: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/BIOS/PRIME-X470-PRO-ASUS-6042.zip

Instructions on updating are here (I recommend using the EZ flash method from those listed): https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_A320M-A/E13571_BIOS_Update_EM_V4_WEB.pdf

Solution
Jul 6, 2022

Instructions on updating are here (I recommend using the EZ flash method from those listed): https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_A320M-A/E13571_BIOS_Update_EM_V4_WEB.pdf
i ran the program , it asked do yo uwant to read this file, i pressed yes, now it seems to be proccesing and there's a bar on the bottom of the screen that's now halfway, after this can i just boot and it will be fine?, or is there anythign else,

Jul 6, 2022
Did you run this from in the BIOS or from in Windows?
it finished updating, it asked me to press f1 to run program , now i am in bios, i did what you said and pressed the default thingy, now i can exit right?, f10? when i press that it says the following

save & reset
save configuration and reset?
selects tpm device enable firmware tpm enable discrete tpm

that last thing i can hover over and select, do i do that and press ok? or something else?

againt , thank you so much for takin the time to reply to me!

Jul 6, 2022
So, I would now just save and exit, then shut down, change CPUs and see if it will POST.
it works, omg you just saved my evening, you are truly the best, thank you so much for helping me out, i can't stress this engough ' you are the best'

it just asked if i wanted to use tpm i just pressed continue and it's booting with new proccesor

again, thanks!!!!

Don't forget to go back and clean both the bottom of your CPU cooler or water block and the top of your CPU to remove any old thermal paste, using isopropyl alcohol, and then apply fresh thermal paste according to whatever method is recommended for your CPU model and/or cooler. You really don't want to simply reuse the old paste or thermal pad. Once removed, regardless that some will disagree, you WILL have areas where there are air bubbles and it will not cool as well in those areas. Always re-paste when you remove the CPU cooler.

If you've already done that, great, if not, I'd highly recommend it.