Honorable
Nov 11, 2015
System Specs:
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
RAM: 64gb
GPU: Nvidia EVGA Geforce RTX 3080
PSU: Corsair RM750x

So I just upgraded my CPU from a Ryzen 5 but after I set up the new one, my computer turns on but gives me a black screen. The CPU indicator is lit up, solid red. So far I've tried resetting the BIOS via the CMOS battery, and installing the latest BIOS via a flash drive. I really don't want to have to take this thing back out because the cooler was a massive pain to get set up in the first place.
My big worry here is that the socket got damaged when I removed the old CPU. It came out WITH the cooler which was so stuck it's like it's glued on. I wasn't using very much force (about as much as you would normally to remove a cooler that's a little stuck) and none of the pins on the old CPU look bent or broken so I'm hoping that's not the case.

Which specific BIOS did you install?
If the CMOS and BIOS update didnt help, some issue with the pins could be likely.
For future reference, if you run the system for a few minutes before removing the processor it generally softens up the thermal paste a bit, which can prevent the CPU from getting ripped out.

Jorvalt

Honorable
Nov 11, 2015
Which specific BIOS did you install?
If the CMOS and BIOS update didnt help, some issue with the pins could be likely.
For future reference, if you run the system for a few minutes before removing the processor it generally softens up the thermal paste a bit, which can prevent the CPU from getting ripped out.
I installed version 7C02v3F which is the latest available from the website. Since I can't actually get into the BIOS, I had to use the built in "flash BIOS" feature in order to install it. If I didn't have a laptop, I would have been screwed on that front.

Jorvalt

Honorable
Nov 11, 2015
So, though it may pain me, I had to bite the bullet and re-install the old CPU. Computer works fine, thankfully, and I went into the BIOS. The BIOS had not updated as it should have, and it looks like the culprit was that for whatever reason, it wasn't able to read the particular flash drive I was using, as Flash-M wasn't even able to recognize it being plugged in. So, I swapped it out for a different flash drive and now it's updating as it should have. I'll post another update once it's done to see if that fixed it.

Jorvalt

Honorable
Nov 11, 2015
Yup, so evidently the problem was my BIOS wasn't updated, and the "Flash BIOS" function on my motherboard didn't work only because of the flash drive I was using, for some weird reason. After updating, the CPU is now working perfectly fine.