Black screen after installing new GPU.

BMWolter

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016
Hello everyone,

First i wanna thank everyone for looking into this and I hope we will find a solution.

I recently bought a new RX480 and installed it but when i turn the pc on the screen just goes into powersaving mode.

Here are some specs
- motherboard: Asus F1A75-M LE
- old GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7700
- Processor: AMD A8-3850
- PSU: Antec HCG-620W

I uninstalled all the old drivers and installed the new one but nothing changed.
I also updated the bios but still no luck. The PCI slot is not broken because when i install my old card it still works. When it starts you normally hear the fan spinning harder for a sec before it spins normal but with the new card it wont, it starts very quietly. I also tried to start the pc with the onboard gpu wich only works when the new card is not in it. Is this a sign of my PSU being not strong enough or is the card not compatible with the Motherboard?

I hope we can find a solution because it is bothering me quite a bit.:??:

Solution
"I also tried to start the pc with the onboard gpu wich only works when the new card is not in it"

That's normal behaviour. When an add-on GPU is detected, the on-board GPU is automatically disabled to avoid a driver & resources conflict (otherwise neither GPU would work).

Have you checked the BIOS settings to see if you need to change the active GPU location from on-board (integrated) to PCI Express? That's what I had to do with my ASRock motherboard.

I think that's unlikely in your case since auto-detection is evidently working, but worth checking to make sure.

BMWolter

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016

Yeah I did. The only thing I could think of what is wrong is some settings in the bios or my motherboard. I highly doubt it though because when booting it up it sounds like it doesnt start up at all because of some protection. I also cant hear the typical windows start up sound.

"I also tried to start the pc with the onboard gpu wich only works when the new card is not in it"

That's normal behaviour. When an add-on GPU is detected, the on-board GPU is automatically disabled to avoid a driver & resources conflict (otherwise neither GPU would work).

Have you checked the BIOS settings to see if you need to change the active GPU location from on-board (integrated) to PCI Express? That's what I had to do with my ASRock motherboard.

I think that's unlikely in your case since auto-detection is evidently working, but worth checking to make sure.

Solution