[SOLVED] Black screen after installing new motherboard + cpu

Dec 29, 2020
Ok, first post here, don't know where else to turn

So heres the thing: I made myself a new years gift and got BOX i5-10400f and a new ASRock B460M-HDV motherboard

previous pc specs are:
CPU: Intel Core i3-6300
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti
HDD: Toshiba P300 1TB
RAM: Kingston 9905625-066.A00G 1x16GB (or model name: KVR21N15D8/16)
MBD: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H
PSU: some Aerocool 450W idk, came pre-installed with the case

So after I planted new mobo and CPU into this config all I got was black screen with no signal, pc fans are turning, but after a minute or so it stops, then it turns on again (reboots, maybe?). I followed the blackscreen troubleshooting guide, replanted my CPU and RAM a few times, removed the round battery, made sure it's seated oon those little screw extenders, but result stays the same. Turns on, no video signal, works for a minute, powers down, turns on again, repeat. After that I just reassembled PC using old components, so I assumed this should be a problem with either a new mobo or CPU bc now it works fine.

Also I have no beeper at hand and this particular CPU lacks integrated graphics, so no HDMI signal will be coming from mobo port

Any ideas?

Edit: apparently, this memory stick isn't on mobo's memory QVL list, does this incompatibility fit the description? If so, I'll just get a new one from the list (sigh)

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020
Ok, no lending, bought a new stick from qvl list, planted it in, did CMOS reset and nothing. No video, fans turning, it keeps doing so for a minute exactly (there must be some some processes going on inside), then turns off, and repeats this cycle

maybe hdmi is not the best option to go with? I have DVI-D and DV on this videocard, just ordered a beeper and dvi-d to hdmi adapter, which will arrive in 3 days time.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
No bent pin in the socket? Sounds indeed like one new component doesn't work right, would start with rma of motherboard if the socket is fine. The cpu as usual as last suspected.

saw that psu and want/need to just say replace it, Aerocool just don't make good psu's.

Dec 29, 2020
Ok so here’s what happened: mobo was faulty. On top of it, hdmi signal was nonexistent since no drivers were installed so I couldn’t identify problem.

So here’s a solution for future generations: buy a cheap dvi-d to hdmi adapter first and identify the problem.

Last edited: