Black screen after installing Windows 8.1 updates - Safe mode also has a black screen!

coolillboi

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
I was using my laptop and got a notification that windows needed to be updated and wanted me to restart so I did, when the updates finished installing the screen went black without a cursor. I tried rebooting in safe mode but screen is also black - though I do get the repair/safe mode menus before that. I had the same problem a few days ago but I was able to access the safe mode but now I cant - and I fixed it by choosing the repair option but it removed all of my installed programs. I really don't want to do that or a system reformat as I'll lose all my programs/files. I also tried system restore but didn't work. I believe this may have something to do with my display drivers - can anybody please help?! =[

Solution
I'm facing the same problem.

black screen in normal mode and safe mode. rescue tools are accessible, thats the only thing
I afraid I need to reinstall windows and loose all the settings/programs

funny thing, when I leave the machine for a while, it enters sleep mode. I wakes up with the keyboard and suddenly a mousepointer appears on the black screen....

Heino van der Meer

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
I'm facing the same problem.

black screen in normal mode and safe mode. rescue tools are accessible, thats the only thing
I afraid I need to reinstall windows and loose all the settings/programs

funny thing, when I leave the machine for a while, it enters sleep mode. I wakes up with the keyboard and suddenly a mousepointer appears on the black screen....

Solution