Black screen after login resulting from vid driver update

JM033

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Hello, I was wondering why my computer screen continues to go black ONLY after I install the latest video driver update.

GPU- ATI Radeon HD 6790
MOBO- MSI P67S-C43
CPU- Intel Core i-5 sandy bridge 2500k
PSU- COOLMASTER 700w
RAM- PNY x2 4gb
OS- Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Im officially stumped.. Let me give you a step by step of what happens
After Installing latest video drivers and reboot:
- Computer will start up normally
- Login screen appears, I type password and login
- My desktop and files load just fine and my computer seems to be in fine working condition
- Anywhere from 2-6 minutes after I login the computer screen will go completely black (or sometimes a black and blue vertical barred screen) This only seems to happen if I open anything. If I sit there and let the computer sit viewing my desktop it will never black screen, only if a program is opened.
- After, I will turn off my computer boot in safemode and do a system restore to a safe point when I know the video driver hadn't been installed yet

Ive tried just about everything I can think of and I truly believe its a software issue, but I may be wrong... Ive tried installing ATI driver 11.10 (the disc that came with the video card), and Video driver 11.11 (off from ATI's website), updating bios, Installing previous versions of video drivers, Downloading the 11.6 "hotfix" from ati that supposedly resolves this issue, Reinstalling windows, Reseating my video card, Trying a VGA to DVI adaptor and just standard DVI cable/s.

My PC temp is fine, the video card fan is spinning and everything seems to be stable, but I NEED to update my video drivers so I can play Battlefield 3. All my computer parts are brand-spankin new along with my windows OS.
Like I said this is ONLY after the video driver update.. Im currently using no video driver and Im typing this forum thread just fine with no problems. Only once I update or install anything from catalyst/ATI/Video Driver does the problem persist

Any tips would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated, because I really don't want to have to RMA my video card if the problem is just a simple fix that Im over-looking

-Sincerely JM

Anoop Parwani

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
i have the same problem.. jus bought a brand new msi 6950, updated video drivers to 11.11, restarted, and after 6 hrs, while browsing the internet, screen goes black. when i restart, i get a black screen instead of the login screen. if i go to safe mode and uninstall the video driver, n boot back to normal mode, its fine.. once i install the drivers n reboot, i get a black login screen.

QueueCumber

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Same issue here. My crossfire 5970 setup has worked fine for two years. Now after I restart after installing the new drivers I get a black screen that shifts back and forth from all black to black with a little underscore thingy at the top left of the screen.

I've tried everything to get it working right. I've uninstalled multiple times. To even uninstall I have to go into safe mode and actually delete all the files manually because I can't even log into windows and do anything because the screen goes black right away.

Thanks ATI/AMD!!!!! Next time I will buy NVIDIA despite the slower speeds. At least I can depend on my system working for the hour or two I have a week to play a video game... I've now wasted those two hours trying to get my video card working again (it still doesn't work....).

JM033

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Currently using my friends old Radeon x1950, I RMA'd my Radeon HD 6790 and while I wait for my new card to arrive.. I determined that it may have been something defective with the card itself because Im currently going on 2-3 days without a black screen with the latest drivers installed for this card, so I think Ive found my problem. I would highly suggest not wasting your time trying to fix the issue on your own because it seems to be, from what ive gather that the issue could be a bunch of different problems or just a stupid little fix. Either way I would just save yourself the headache and RMA if your still under warranty. If this card doesn't work and I run into the same issue Im just going to cut my losses and get a refund and will never purchase from ATI/AMD again. Best of luck to you both with finding a solution.

TRENDING THREADS