Black screen after long login and in safe mode

ThaiNguyen

Honorable
Aug 14, 2014
This morning I had booted up my PC and after logging in and an unusual long loading time, my screen went black and would flicker my background every few seconds. I then noticed my usb peripherals that were plugged into USB 3.0 ports weren't working. My screen showed the menu bar on the bottom but when I tried to hover over it, my mouse gave me the not responding icon. I also tried to open task manager but that too wasn't responding.

Immediately I went to restore my computer to a working point but after it saying the restoration was complete and me resetting it, I still was met with a black screen. I then tried safe mode with a command promt. When logged in with safe mode, I was met with the error of "sihost.exe unknown hard error." I waited and was able to log in but my screen was still a flickering black screen plus the menu bar and command prompt. With the command prompt, I tried to use sfc /scannow but it always stopped at 51% saying "windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation." I then tried to open another admin account but the error "c:\windows\system32\iphlpapi.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains can error." My next step was chkdsk /f but that didn't seem to change anything. I have no other restore points and resetting my windows would like to be a last resort. Any help or ideas is appreaciated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The blank desktop and slow login thing are a result of the USB device drivers not answering a call when win 10 logs in. If your USB hadn't played up I would have suggested unplugging them all and trying to start win 10 as I think its hardware of some sort to blame for the slow start up

As for the second part, see if this helps:

Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

If DISM doesn't work, you are probably best using the ISO created above and fresh install win 10 as a reset won't work if DISM doesn't. DISM cleans the files a reset would use to reinstall win 10. It is the tool used to run reset.

ThaiNguyen

Honorable
Aug 14, 2014

When I unplugged to the absolute minimum with just my keyboard, my log in was still super slow and my screen was still black. As for DISM, when I tried the new image I was met with the error of "the specified buffer contains ill-formed data." This error also came up whenever I tried DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth or /ScanHealth. I don't know if this is helpful information but when I get to the log in screen, it says I am not connected to the internet. When I click the Network button on the log-in screen nothing happens. I am doing all of the command prompts from Safe Mode withe Command Prompt too but the safe mode is not working very well as it is black screened and the taskbar is missing.