Question Black screen after ram change

Sk1nx

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Hello,

Today I changed ram from HyperX Fury 8GB kit DDR3 1600 MHz CL10 to HyperX Fury 16GB kit DDR3 1886 MHz CL10 on brother's PC.

After first change I saw in BIOS that only one 8GB stick was recognized so i tried to switch rams from dual channel 1 to 2. After that change not even BIOS booted and I had black screen.

So I tried switching back to the old RAM kit to dual channel 1 and 2 but black screen as well. Nothing works not even the old setup.

Note that when we first plugged the power supply to 230 V, we could hear loud buzzing coming from the connector of 230V cable and from the electrical socket itself as well. After that, almost all sockets in our apartment started buzzing.

My computer in the other room was working but buzzing as well so i unplugged it for safety reasons.

My questions is, could there possibly some kind of excessive voltage that destroyed my brother's MoBo? Because i highly doubt that none of the 4 ram sticks are working.

Thanks for help

Edit: MoBo is MSI 970 gaming.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need more information. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

What BIOS version are you working with on your motherboard? Given how you're stating an "old" setup, mind sharing the specs to it as well?

Sk1nx

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
We're going to need more information. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

What BIOS version are you working with on your motherboard? Given how you're stating an "old" setup, mind sharing the specs to it as well?

CPU is AMD Fx 6300
Ram is stated above, both old and new kit
Mother board is MSI 970 Gaming
SSD and HDD is Patriot SSD burst 120 GB and HDD WD Blue 1TB
GPU is Radeon Rx 580 8GB TripleX edition
PSU is Evga 700B
Windows 10 Pro